pollinating insects - active at night ?

Hi All,

A very simple question:

Are there any particular pollinating insects that are most active at night?

If yes, and they are in my part of the world, I might start leaving my shade house door open all the time.

At the moment I shut the door of a night time so the neighbourhood cats don't come in to dig in the blood'n'bone around the chillis (which I think other countries call blood and bone "meal").

Regards,

Tim

They probably won't have much pollen at night. The wind will do it. If you're worried about not having wind, just use an oscillating fan.

If you're worried about digging and such, keep the door closed. As Dulac noted, a fan works fine, but also so does simply thumping the pots or main stem from time to time. Peppers are often described as "efficient self-pollinators" in academic writings, so sans any other factors (too hot, too cold...), it doesn't take much.

There are plenty of pollinating insects at night in s AU's but they are more weevils that would pollinate the plants that produce heat to attract pollinators, like your native cycads. Peppers don't do the heat and smell thing like the cycads, so peppers are more of a day thing. Tom

Who knows?
Depends on which bugs are attracted to your peppers, and if they are attracted to eat them or to pollinate them.

I have both here, so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Back