• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pollination & Temperature

I know there have been many discussions about this, but looking at my daily temperatures for the entire year, I see that if the 'rule' of pollination must be withing 65-95F, then I'm totally screwed.

By the time night time temps stayed above 65F, day time temps were hitting 100-102.

My annums don't seem to care at all about temperature tho; I can't even kill those things. I have only had proplems with chinense.

Seems like someone in here mentioned that nite time temps can go much lower than 65F and still pollinate, but I can't find that post.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Rick

Rick,

Are your plants producing flowers at all or are they dropping blossoms?
Wish I could help you at all with this but as you know I'm having similar problems with blossom drop.

I haven't really kept up with the night time temps, but I know in July and August, I was getting zero pollen on the flowers when the temps were in the 100s...

as soon as the temps dropped, I started getting pod set and am still getting pod set now...temps have been dipping into the 50s at night

I agree with AJ, as my plants did the same thing, with the exception of Jalapeno and Tabasco kept producing through the summer heat.

According to my weather history for Ft. Worth and Houston, AJ is setting at nite temps below 65F, and rds has overall temps within range.

I'm still interested in hearing from others setting fruit at lower nite temps, but now back to thinking I have other issues, tho I can't figure out what :banghead:

Thanks guys.

SanSoo said:
According to my weather history for Ft. Worth and Houston, AJ is setting at nite temps below 65F, and rds has overall temps within range.

I'm still interested in hearing from others setting fruit at lower nite temps, but now back to thinking I have other issues, tho I can't figure out what :banghead:

Thanks guys.

I know how you feel man.

Night time temps can make a difference with flower drop, but you will still get pollination when temps are below 65. If they didn't I don't think I would have had any peppers this year as our summer was so cold. When night time temps start getting below 55, that is when you'll start having trouble with pollination.

I was still getting new pods until I got a few hard frosts, but generally you want to keep your plants above 15C for ideal pollination. Most often pollination happens in the afternoon so this is most likely when you want to have ideal pollination temps

Back