Pomegranite

Anyone do a spicey pomegranite sauce for cooking pork? I have thrown jalepanos in some pom juice and crock potted pork.

I'll bet you guys have something better.

Thanks,

Rymerpt

Pom juice, hot pepper pods, and ...... vodka!  :party:

Oh, yeah, you said "for cooking pork", not "for drinking". . . .

How about adding a touch of lime juice, cumin, allspice, cilantro, and coriander? And bbq sauce. Never hurts to add to what comes in a bottle.

Rymerpt said:
Anyone do a spicey pomegranite sauce for cooking pork? I have thrown jalepanos in some pom juice and crock potted pork.
I'll bet you guys have something better.
Thanks,
Rymerpt
Sounds good. Can't wait for my Jalapeño plants to get full grown. My TAM Jalapeño is about 8 inches tall.

I use pomegranate molasses as the base for my current favorite bbq sauce and have been very happy with it:

2 cups raw or dark brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup (Karo, not the high-fructose stuff)
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Combine sugar, syrup, paste, vinegar, Worcestershire, molasses and salt. Wisk to combine. Bring to a boil (careful as it will foam up and bite you). Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. This is your sauce base. If it doesn’t taste great, the rest of the ingredients aren’t going to save it. Taste for sweetness, acid, umami, and salt. Adjust accordingly.
Turn the heat off and add the garlic, chili powder, paprika, pepper, onion, vanilla, cayenne, sage, thyme, allspice, nutmeg, and cumin. Wisk to combine.
Bring to a boil again then reduce heat to lowest setting and let sauce cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Bottle and store in the fridge. Makes about 1 quart.

http://www.food-fire.com/index.php/2013/05/24/pomegranate-pig-barbeque-sauce/

Pomegranite Mojo

heat a cup of EVOO up almost to the smoking point 

add 6 cloves or chopped garlic for about 30 seconds and pour it off "CAREFULLY!!!!" into a wood mortar and add

(should be mixed up and ready before starting)
1 1/2 cups Pomegranate juice
2 Tbs Key Lime juice
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
1 1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp salt and a couple grinds or Black pepper
Dice up chili's of choice (I'll typically use a couple of Jalapenos)

allow meat to marinate overnight then into the Crock Pot, smoker, etc... for time needed for amount of meat your cooking. 

Note: this make a lot of Mojo. I usually marinate in a large Zip Lock bag and the Mojo I don't use I'll reduce to a glaze and dipping sauce.

Enjoy,
RM

That mojo sounds very tasty! What's the flavor profile end up being? Is it a Mediterranean style marinade? Can't wait to see the color that would but on some grilled chicken or pork.

Back