• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

poor peppers.

these poor poor pepper trees..
went away for work for a few days last week.. came home to this.
Asked the wife to not worry about watering them unless they look like they are wilting. maybe i should have asked her to look at them in the early morning or late evening when the are not in the full sun.. either way..
poor poor pepper trees..
one does have a pepper.. but i doubt it will last for long..
now i am thinking bone meal. But i did find some liquid fert that is 12-4-8..
Thinking i will give one or both a shot of that.
Im still pretty new to all this.. so if anyone sees a problem with that please point out the error in my ways so i know not to do it again. lol.
almost forgot the pics.
IMG_7575.jpg

IMG_7580.jpg

pepper on 2
and the lone pepper.
IMG_7578.jpg

hmm...
actually didnt start them in fert. just some kind of potting soil. Im not sure if that had anything in it as far as fertilizers or not.. But things were giong real good.. until the leaves and flowers started dropping on one of them.
lol.
As i said i am new. They were germinated in a buddies family green house. Cant remember when they were started.
I only started to fertilize when the leaves and flowers started to drop.
im suprised there wasnt more "try this" in this topic.

But thanks for the lone reply.

hmm... That is an interesting possibility..
I have been trying to wait until they are wilting a bit..
But i was gone for a bit and left it to the wife to maintain.. And it is possible that she went a little overboard.. They sure didnt look like that before i left. i was only gone 4 or so days... But now im wondering.

Another thing i want to change is to put them both in the same size pot (for easy watering scheduals). Maybe i'll do that tonight.

edit: i can say there is no moss or fungi growing on the top of the soil. not sure if that is common or always happens with over watering..

Looks like you MAY have a magnesium deficiency. Can't tell from the picture, but magnesium deficiency starts at the lower/older leaves which turn chlorotic between the veins (interveinal chlorosis) as the plant redistributes magnesium from the older leaves to the newer ones. The interveinal tissue is often raised like that. Plant growth slows down and fruit is smaller. Plants can't produce chlorophyll without magnesium because it is the central atom in the chlorin ring in all types of chlorophyll molecules. The older leaves eventually fall off and the new growth is puckered. Several things can cause magnesium deficiency, including lack of magnesium in the soil, leaching from excessive watering, excessive potassium or calcium, or high PH.

We need more information though, what are they planted in, what have they been fed and how often, how often are they water, etc. I would not give them any bone meal yet (and probably not at all).

more info i can give..

The soil was left over "tropical plant" soil from another venture.

The watering is something i have to work out as i mentioned above. usually id poke the soild and if it was dry id water. The pots have holes in the bottom and water does drain out. They are in the sun for the better part of the day, used to be all day but moved to another spot where it wasnt as windy.

As far as feeedings.. well.. maybe thats where i shit the bead. lol. i did give a dose of bonemeal and it probably was not needed. I cant remember at the moment when it was given, but i am thinking a little over a week ago. For some reason i thought it was needed, cant remember why now.

One thing i do plan on is putting these things in the same size pots with some miracle grow potting soil.
hopefully do that tonight and see if it finishes them off for good. lol. I seem to have done every other bad thing to them so far. haha.

any more thoughts. or information i can provide? I'll try take some new pics tonight as well. there are some on my photobucket but i cant get to them on the work server.

Thanks again for the help it is very much appreciated.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23797-my-first-venture-into-hot-peppers/page__p__487012#entry487012

this is the link to the first topic i started after the leaf/flower drop fest.
These pics are from that topic.. and the numbers correlate to the above pictures
1 on the left and 2 on the right
IMG_75731.jpg

IMG_75721.jpg

IMG_75701.jpg

good looking out man.

I got some pots and soil yesterday but didnt get a chance to get them repotted. The new pots are a fair bit bigger.
Guess i'll see how the roots look when i switch them over.

Thanks again.

Yeah I would try to find something better than miracle grow. Or at least dilute it with some peat, vermiculite, and perlite. I would repot it into the bigger pots with some new potting mix, inspect the roots while you're doing that, and then probably give it a calcium/magnesium supplement and see if that helps. And also thoroughly check for any pests, using a magnifying glass if you have one. If none of that helps it might be some kind of bacterial or fungal infection...

well..
could not find vermiculite when i was out today.. and just plain forgot to get peat. But i did grab some generic soil. If im lucky i'll get a chance to re-pot at least one tonight. if not then at least i can get some peat and look for the vermiculite

What do you mean by generic soil? Top soil and potting soil are too heavy and dense for pots, you need potting mix which is light and airy and has good drainage, something peat, coco coir, or composted pine bark fines-based generally, and not top soil-based.

sorry.
The bag says all purpose potting soil. has sphagnum peat, perlite and humus...
was planning on mixing that with some more perlite and the original soil from the pots..
or maybe i should mix the new potting soil with perlite and more peat??
can to much peat be bad?

from what i can find on the internets vermiculite and perlite have almost the same jobs... is that correct?

except vermic holds more water.. while perlite lets it drain better

Ok, that doesn't sound too bad. "Potting soil" usually contains top soil or is top soil-based and is heavy and compacts too much for pots, but that doesn't sound like what is usually sold as "potting soil", at least here in the US.

Yeah vermiculite holds more water, perlite is better for drainage and also aeration.

A little more perlite probably couldn't hurt, it is great for potted plants, and not all commercial mixes have great drainage straight out of the bag. The only reason I mentioned adding the peat was because MG contains a lot of time-released fertilizers and can burn chile plants, adding peat + extra perlite and/or vermiculite would just be to make the mixture less hot. Too much peat can be bad, it won't drain well enough unless perlite or something similar is added to maintain good drainage. It is also very acidic, usually around a pH of about 4, commercial potting mixes adjust the pH for peat-based mixes to make it close to neutral. Adding a little extra peat + something for drainage probably wouldn't change the pH very much though (probably some buffering would resist lowering the pH by a whole lot), and peppers like slightly acidic soil, plus the ideal pH for soilless media (~5.0-5.5) is lower than for soil (~6.5). So adding some extra peat is fine as long as you add more perlite with it and maintain good drainage.

Soil_PH_chart.jpg

they might be happier in bigger pots soca, may be a little root-bound which gives a similar look

holy crap... that one in the little pot was wound right up in there.. areas where i couldnt even tell there was soil. lol. i assume now that that is root-bound?
and big pot not as bad but the soil that was there didnt want to move much.. i figured that was because root was holding it all in. Now i just gotta figure out when to move them up again in the pot size.. Its funny. Cause i just followed along with what i remember my old man doing when he had pepper trees.. and i honestly cant remember him moving to larger pots.. then again.. i also dont remember him having problems getting peppers to grow on them either.

now we see if i really did them in or not. lol.

Ok, that doesn't sound too bad. "Potting soil" usually contains top soil or is top soil-based and is heavy and compacts too much for pots, but that doesn't sound like what is usually sold as "potting soil", at least here in the US.

Yeah vermiculite holds more water, perlite is better for drainage and also aeration.

A little more perlite probably couldn't hurt, it is great for potted plants, and not all commercial mixes have great drainage straight out of the bag. The only reason I mentioned adding the peat was because MG contains a lot of time-released fertilizers and can burn chile plants, adding peat + extra perlite and/or vermiculite would just be to make the mixture less hot. Too much peat can be bad, it won't drain well enough unless perlite or something similar is added to maintain good drainage. It is also very acidic, usually around a pH of about 4, commercial potting mixes adjust the pH for peat-based mixes to make it close to neutral. Adding a little extra peat + something for drainage probably wouldn't change the pH very much though (probably some buffering would resist lowering the pH by a whole lot), and peppers like slightly acidic soil, plus the ideal pH for soilless media (~5.0-5.5) is lower than for soil (~6.5). So adding some extra peat is fine as long as you add more perlite with it and maintain good drainage.

Soil_PH_chart.jpg

that's some good info right there.. Thanks! I thought i herd somewhere that to much peat was bad. Just couldn't remember why.
AAANNND.. i couldn't wait.. lol :crazy: impatiens is something that seems to be growing in me these days. lol.
I went ahead with the re-pot, added about half and half of the MG and other potting soil, as well as 1/4 to half each individual amount of perlite.. that doesn't make sense.. 1:1:.5... around that mix. lol.
See where it goes from there i guess. I will certainly be updating this topic once a couple weeks pass.. unless they die before that. lol. :(

thanks to all who gave info and support. It is much appreciated. And i intend to pay it forward where i can.

and yet another question..
I get my water for my property from a well. This well has a pretty high iron content.

Is it better to water strait from the well? Or should i use the water from the water softener?
the water softener is obviously removing minerals that cause hard water.
maybe a mix of both?

this is something that only popped into my head today when i was reading another "help me" post on here.

Back