• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Pork Loin - Pulled Pork Recipe

I've looked through the threads in the Wanted and Meal sections but I havent been able to find a good pulled pork recipe using pork loin. I have a huge pork loin sitting in the freezer as well as tons of peppers and a stack of buns calling my name but i'm tired of the pork loin taste. Can anyone give me a great pulled pork recipe using pork loin that doesnt have that flavor?

Thanks
Melium

A pork loin recipe without a pork loin flavor? I guess I would crock pot it with some peppers, shred it, slather it with sauce and pile it on a bun. Sorry, that's the best I can do!

edit: Smoking it would add a different flavor as well.

I suppose I could slap it in the oven (Crock pot is busted) in a cooker surrounded by tons of peppers and some water/spices.

I suppose I could slap it in the oven (Crock pot is busted) in a cooker surrounded by tons of peppers and some water/spices.

and maybe some fruit like pineapple or regular apple? How about making a spicy chutney? mmm...pears...sorry, I think I'm just hungry.

Use a dry rub and let it sit overnight. I posted a recipe here for an incredible rub: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/25389-porkgasm/

Cook in on low in the oven in beer. Like 225º until the internal temp hits 170.

I am not sure you are going to get the flavor from the loin as you would from the butt or the shoulder. Slow cooking the marbled fat in the butt and the shoulder is what gives it its flavor.

My suggestion is stick with the loin and cut it in to chops 1 ½ to 2 inches thick. Cut a small pocket into side of the chop, and stuff it with something good, like a Cajun pork dressing, or Seafood dressing. (Easy dressing – Stove Top stuffing- chopped green onion, garlic, sliced polish kielbasa, shrimp and Tonys seasoning to taste.) Wrap a piece of bacon around the chop, ala filet mignon and secure with cotton string, and grill.

I may try your filet idea with half the loin, since it weights about 12lbs. Will also slow roast some of it in pork fat and beer like Seth advised.

I am not sure you are going to get the flavor from the loin as you would from the butt or the shoulder. Slow cooking the marbled fat in the butt and the shoulder is what gives it its flavor.

My suggestion is stick with the loin and cut it in to chops 1 ½ to 2 inches thick. Cut a small pocket into side of the chop, and stuff it with something good, like a Cajun pork dressing, or Seafood dressing. (Easy dressing – Stove Top stuffing- chopped green onion, garlic, sliced polish kielbasa, shrimp and Tonys seasoning to taste.) Wrap a piece of bacon around the chop, ala filet mignon and secure with cotton string, and grill.

This one sounds good to me!!

I have come to a compromise, i'm smoking the loin covered in the dry rub, cutting it into steaks, cooking down a habanero mango glaze and then slow roasting it to perfection.

I have come to a compromise, i'm smoking the loin covered in the dry rub, cutting it into steaks, cooking down a habanero mango glaze and then slow roasting it to perfection.
Will be dry with the double cooking.

Even if I cook it in liquid? Was planning on doing it on the second roast with water around it and some cut habs/datils.

Cooking in liquid is braising, not roasting. Yes this would help, could braise until it falls apart. But not water. Need some stock, wine, etc.

Sear the outside first.

If you're going to smoke it, I'd just smoke it all the way and not braise.

Hmm, I think I have some stock around here somewhere, have to dig it out of the fridge. Thanks for the tips everyone. Hope it turns out as well as planned.

Back