Possible first time Spice seller?

It needs to be legal, and you need to protect people from getting sick, as well as protect yourself from losing everything if you get sued. What does that mean? Check with your state for the legalities, practice safe processing, canning, and packaging, and get insurance. Also look into LLC and S-corp.

According to the FDA it has to be produced in a commercial kitchen, properly labeled all sorts of legalities. Seriously do your research before you start to save yourself trouble later!! There is alot of red tape I never knew about and with the new pending laws there may be alot more for us to deal with!! Call and talk to the FDA. They are willing to answer any questions and explain everything to you..

In addition to what THP said also check into Product Liability Insurance as well.

PhatManDerek said:
Thanks guys, So I just want to sell true spices make a few extra bucks.

but if I have to do research I migt as well open my pizza joint I want to do.
Two separate animals. A restaurant kitchen is not always a commercial kitchen for processing. Again, research.

thehotpepper.com said:
Two separate animals. A restaurant kitchen is not always a commercial kitchen for processing. Again, research.
Thanks THP, I'm going to do some research this week, but is spices cracked up as they say it?

Since everyone and their granny can make spices.

Sorry, I don't get your question. If you want to make something that is already on the market, make the best. Period.

thehotpepper.com said:
Sorry, I don't get your question. If you want to make something that is already on the market, make the best. Period.
I mean is worth it to make spices, when there is spices all ready on the market?

"Kind of like you said"

I'm just wondering if its a futile attempt.

Derek...look at it this way..When I go into the local grocery store. I go into the spice isle. I see new brands of spices popping up all the time some cheaper and some more expensive. People buy spices. They buy lots of spices. (at least in my area) It is easier for them to buy it than to make it. I have 5 different spice mixes that I make (at home for now). Soon will be commercial.

If you are going to produce a unique blend, find youself a local spicer. Many local spicers can legally produce and package your blends for you (just before handing over any recipes be sure to get a confidentiality agreement so they cannot spill the beans about your blend) Often when dealing directly with a spicer, you pay bulk or wholesale prices for the spices rather than retail. I will be useing a Cleveland area spicer to produce mine.

Also when doing your research look into what the FDA requires for labeling as well (certain things need to be in certain places and so on) Also check to see if you need to take a Food Saftey Coarse as well.

Dyce51 said:
Derek...look at it this way..When I go into the local grocery store. I go into the spice isle. I see new brands of spices popping up all the time some cheaper and some more expensive. People buy spices. They buy lots of spices. (at least in my area) It is easier for them to buy it than to make it. I have 5 different spice mixes that I make (at home for now). Soon will be commercial.

If you are going to produce a unique blend, find youself a local spicer. Many local spicers can legally produce and package your blends for you (just before handing over any recipes be sure to get a confidentiality agreement so they cannot spill the beans about your blend) Often when dealing directly with a spicer, you pay bulk or wholesale prices for the spices rather than retail. I will be useing a Cleveland area spicer to produce mine.

Also when doing your research look into what the FDA requires for labeling as well (certain things need to be in certain places and so on) Also check to see if you need to take a Food Safety Coarse as well.
College actually offers a food safety coarse just for that reason, And thanks for the spicer info bro.

If you are researching the legalities of a pizzeria, I imagine you have funding lined up?

You are putting the cart before the horse. What you need is a business plan for investors. The red tape comes later, when you know you are going to open.

thehotpepper.com said:
You are putting the cart before the horse. What you need is a business plan for investors. The red tape comes later, when you know you are going to open.
Thp, I'm confused now, Maybe I'll just keep making the spices my self for a while and see what happenes right?

PhatManDerek said:
Thp, I'm confused now, Maybe I'll just keep making the spices my self for a while and see what happenes right?
Why are you confused? How can you open a pizzeria without money? There's no sense in researching bureaucratic stuff like licenses and such if you have no means of opening one.

Back