• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Possible Scam?

WarrantMan

Extreme Member
On occasion I get these great money making opportunities... but my skeptical mind prevents me from acting on it, out of some foolish unfounded fear I guess. For instance, copied below is an email I received just now. Out of all the billions of people in the world, this 18 year old girl from the Ivory Coast chose me! Me. How lucky is that? But my skepticism prevails and I won't act on it, too busy with the sauce business and all.. So what to do? Reply to her and offer my colleague's email address of course! He needs the money more than I do.... ;)

Miss Grace Awunyo
Abidjan,ivory coast.

Hello,

My name is Grace Awunyo from Abidjan Ivory Coast and I was 18 years girl on the 22nd of Novermber.My father Doctor Smith Awunyo died in March 2016 after being involved in a motor accident. Before my father died, my mother had earlier died as a result of Diabetes.Before my father died in the hospital while taking treatment, he told me that there is Two million seven hundred thousand united states dollars(US2,700,000.00) he has in a bank here in Abidjan Cote D'Ivoire.

He said that the money was meant for establishing his business in Abidjan - Ivory Coast. Though, according to my father he deposited the money in his own name and mentioned me in the documents as the next of kin .Before his death he advised me to seek for a trust worthy person abroad who will help me invest and manage this money for me until i am capable to handle it myself.I have succeeded in locating the bank in Abidjan and also confirmed the money is in the account.

But the bank said from the agreement my father has with them that i can only claim the money when i am upto 25 years. And if I am not upto that age, i should present a guardian who will help me in recieving the money and for investment purposes in his or her country. Now I am seeking for your assistance to help me transfer out this money from this bank he deposited it to your account so that you can be able to manage and invest it in any good business in your country and also help me to move out from here so that I can continue my education which stopped since my parents death.

I will be Waiting anxiously to hear from you so that we can discuss how you can assist me on this as my guardian since it is the only condition that the bank said this my inheritance can be release to me at this my present age or i can wait until i am upto 25 years and above. Thanks for your kind attention and i will appreciate to receive your reply to know if you will be able to help me stand as my guardian for my inheritance be release to me through your kind help.Please i am willing to give you 10% from the inheritance for standing as my guardian and also know that you are going to manage it for me .Please i will like you to send this information to me which will be what i will be presenting to the bank when i hear from you,Your name and your address,

Here is my email address of more infromation (graceawunyo@yandex.com )

Thanks and God Bless

Miss Grace Awunyo

I try to have fun with them, and sometimes we can hook them up locally on some Craigslist scams, I love those. Here are two checks I received at two different times from stuff that I was really selling on Craigslist... the old scam where they "want whatever you're selling" send you a check for greater than the sales amount, want you to cash it, retain "a little extra" for your trouble and then you send them the difference.... (of course the checks are bogus and you will be on the hook at your bank) in both cases, the item was listed at around $500. The second one I used my professional address and littered my email with so many clues, and look at my "name"... haha.  :rofl:

my reply:

Greetings ms. Awunyo!

Terrible to hear of your predicament. As is current, my health is not so well. I can recommend a trusted friend who could assist in your endeavor.
Please contact ********@northcharleston.org

Thanks and God bless!

Sent from my iPhone

"Her reply:

Thanks for your mail and i am very sorry to health that your in good health and i pray that God will help , But please have you told your friend about me? I will like to hear from you before anything

Miss Awunyo

Ha ha, I'm gonna let it stew for a bit.......  :party:

You gotta watch out with scamming scammers.  It sometimes backfires.
For instance, one time I was walking down a street in Seattle, minding my own business.  A twenty-something girl - not rich looking, but definitely not poor looking - stopped me, and gave me the old routine about "car not working", "boyfriend trying to start it", "need a couple dollars", etc, etc, etc.
Now, I'm not one to suffer a fool, and I can read a room pretty well.  This wasn't the kind of neighborhood where you have to travel far from your broken down car to get help.  So immediately after she said she needed a couple of dollars, I snidely commented, "what's the matter, doesn't your pussy work?"
Probably wasn't the best thing to ask, even if I was being facetious.
Because apparently I wasn't too far off with my line of questioning.
And no, I didn't.  :shame:

Did they offer a VERY Large amount of Vasoline when they told you to bend over?

Too good to be true IS A SCAM!

Like the TV stuff about seminars,why are they wasting tine NOT selling Properties instead of buying and selling stuff?

Could it be more  $ is from suckers paying for their seminars?

Thing that bothers me is that the scams that work the best involve convincing the mark that they are taking advantage of someone.  Its like we all want to scam other folk.  So I generally do not feel bad about the victim because they are scammers at heart too

AJ Drew said:
Thing that bothers me is that the scams that work the best involve convincing the mark that they are taking advantage of someone.  Its like we all want to scam other folk.  So I generally do not feel bad about the victim because they are scammers at heart too

It's pretty well-known that the best businessmen, are those who exhibit psychopathic tendencies.  Follows along with this thinking, don't it?

AJ Drew said:

Sometimes it seems this may be the case. But not always... The last several years there has been an uptick in two scams particularly. More often than not targeting "old" people.

1. Jury Duty scam. This one involves a caller claiming to be some local "court official" or "police officer." They contact the mark, claim there is a warrant for them for not showing for jury duty. We get many calls from scared citizens thinking they are in trouble. Usually, but not always, the caller is reported to have an "Indian" accent. They direct the mark to go to Walmart and put some $ amount on a "green dot" card, forward the number to avoid prosecution. In some instances they will query the police websites and use names of actual officers...

2. IRS scam.  Basically the same as the jury duty scam. No BS, a police bud of mine got such a call and played it out. They claimed he had misfiled his taxes some years back, used some legal jargon that made no sense to "those in the know" and when he called them out on it he got hammered with a bunch of obscenities.... The same as the other scam, wanted him to put money on a green dot card and give numbers...

**To any American reading this - no legitimate government official will ever direct you to put money on some card to send account numbers to avoid prosecution.**

Sadly, there are some folks who fall for it. It is not localized here, it is happening nationally...

JayT said:
shoulda asked her to send nudes with POL ie today's newspaper

WTH?

So you want 3rd world country tranny pics?

Kinky.

If thats your 'thang.

Not mine.

You amish pig dog you!

We get the same garbage down here too, so it is not just national, it is international.

What concerns me is that no matter how obvious it is, it must work on some people or it wouldn't be worth the scammers time to do it.

Just imagine that there really was a Nigerian Prince trying to get his money out of the country quickly. How much trouble would he have getting people to believe him.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

bob65 said:
Just imagine that there really was a Nigerian Prince trying to get his money out of the country quickly. How much trouble would he have getting people to believe him.

I took a contract job away from home once, and rented a room from a very nice Nigerian family.  Great people with a great sense of humor.  Once, somebody asked me about my living arrangement, and asked "how that works".  I told them, it's really simple...  They give me a room, and I proofread their emails.  :D

Back