• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Possibly starting my grow in a month

Quick question.... I'll be in the new house around San deigo in about 30 days.... So let's say April 20.... I'll be away for about 10 days or so for college graduation starting about May 9....

Assuming I sow seeds around April 20-23 or so and assuming, let's say 7-10 days for germination, that'll put my seedlings roughly a week old when I will be away.... Should week-old seedlings be ok if left completely alone for up to two weeks? Planning on starting inside, in a seed starting mix more than likely....

I can possibly start them early April and transport them to the new house, if that makes for a better scenario.... Or sow them right before I leave in May but that leaves me unable to monitor temperature and moisture.... And I had a really late start last year, like mid June through early July, would like as much of an earlier start this time around as I can get....

Any ideas, tips or advice?

San Diego you are in prime growing country- you can grow peppers all year long there, you can grow a monster pepper plant. I am envious.

You could look into setting up some sort of water-wick system to deliver them water over those 2 weeks, but I've never tried it. If there's any sort of temperature controlled area, you could keep them on the lower range of acceptable temperatures so they won't grow as fast and burn through their limited resources.

If you've got the seeds to spare, it can't hurt to try. You might also want to try planting a few directly outside, as at least there's a chance nature will do its thing. If they're inside and you don't provide what's needed, they definitely won't make it.

Any friends / family you can leave them with? Neighbour-kids with parents that don't mind you offering them $10 to do a special favour for ya?

As a Socal native, I say wait to start. Your seedlings will need your daily attention, and with your long growing season you don't have to worry about them not ripening in time. Heck, depending where you are in San Diego, you could grow year-round.

Wulf-haven't met the neighbors yet, I'm still in Okinawa. All the family in the area will be traveling with me to the easy coast for graduation.... I have seed to spare with some of the varieties I have, and since they will ultimately end up in pots, I might start a few in small pots outside and see how it works out and start the rest when I get back.

The Camp Pendleton area might not narrow down the growing conditions much, but that's where I'll be....

Actually, on second thought, I don't think the wife's brother is going, he's closer the the 29 Palms area and we've talked about growing peppers before, maybe he could take care of them....

Back