misc Post Card Critique

Ugh....Gotta order these by Monday morning...
Hopefully, you guys are up for some critiquing, ..

not looking for design aspect, more from a consumer angle if possible...
is the content of the card sufficient? any info i should be including that is not there?

i got a designer with me and open ears!

Is this the largest postcard in history or are you sending people something with 3 point font? 

Gut reaction, assuming it's a post card as stated: WAY too much, WAY too many details, no need for ingredients on any product (they can find this on your website I assume?) and kind of a weird color palate. And the #1 critique: there is no message. What is the action statement compelling me to do something with this? 

If I received this post card, as a consumer, I would wonder why I was getting it. I don't get it. Is there a discount coupon? Are you announcing a new product? If the former, send out a straightforward coupon. If the latter, do a postcard for just that product. 

That's my "from the hip, he's only got 24 hours to get this shit done" feedback. 
;)

Ps - I find listing "hate", "vengeance", "apathy" "ire", "wrath" and "fury" especially "disregard" as ingredients very off-putting. 

I know a company has done this - but Defcon kept it simple, left it to one thing and it comes off as amusing.  This seems gimmicky.

When it's every other ingredient it seems unnecessarily confusing, and borders on insulting to your audience. And "disregard" conjures extremely undesirable imagery from a food company.  What are you disregarding, food safety? Ingredient quality? Not a good word for a food product. 

All just one man's opinion. 

All good.

It's my 5x7 promotional post card that I give to customers and leave on my tables.

I did change the color palate...Going with a light grey background instead....what i had in my head, is not becoming a reality, and the time ain't there anymore to tinker.

I guess it is also acting as a informational pamphlet (kind of like the brochure I took from you in NYC) that i can hand to stores and people interested in possibly carrying the product as well.

the other side of the car is that crazy goth picture of the crow, etc.....

i agree that it's kind of busy, I guess I'm trying to tell the whole story and have it all in one deliverable place..... ingredients are listed on my website....

they don't bother me too much....i could remove them and just make the 'info text' a bit bigger......is this more personal opinion or business oriented opinion?

I get a lot of people (as im sure we all do), who want access to the ingredients and such.....if they take a card, and dont have access to the website, it's nice that they can determine if there are risks involved with buying any sauce or not...

you wouldn't believe how many people are allergic to blackberries (i am learning). LOL

PPs - on the MRTAV, you have "striking delicious flavor" - should be "strikingly". 

On another style note, I don't know what "hate sauce" is. I don't think anyone else will either - are you trying to create a new category of sauce? Uphill battle. ;) 

GeminiCrow said:
is this more personal opinion or business oriented opinion?

Hard to separate the two - you asked opinion as a consumer, so mostly it's that. If I received this post card as a mailer what would I think kind of thing. 

It's all personal opinion - I just happen to have a sauce business right?  :D
GeminiCrow said:
It's my 5x7 promotional post card that I give to customers and leave on my tables.
I guess it is also acting as a informational pamphlet (kind of like the brochure I took from you in NYC) that i can hand to stores and people interested in possibly carrying the product as well.

yeah - WAY too much for a 5X7. The pamphlet you took from me in NY was a sell sheet. Much bigger than this.  

I think you're trying to do way too much on a small card. Either increase your surface area or reduce the data. I went with a larger pamphlet because I wanted to use it for multiple purposes - that's what it sounds like you're doing with it, so I'd suggest not trying to do it all on a 5X7 postcard.  

The way to make that work is to do a 5X7 postcard for each product. You'll want the bar code on the card, plus pallet specs. That way the store can use it to check in product by scanning the code on the card, not the bottle. 

Ps - I find listing "hate", "vengeance", "apathy" "ire", "wrath" and "fury" especially "disregard" as ingredients very off-putting. 

I know a company has done this - but Defcon kept it simple, left it to one thing and it comes off as amusing.  This seems gimmicky.

When it's every other ingredient it seems unnecessarily confusing, and borders on insulting to your audience. And "disregard" conjures extremely undesirable imagery from a food company.  What are you disregarding, food safety? Ingredient quality? Not a good word for a food product. 

All just one man's opinion. 

I hear ya....Definitiely gimmicky, but it has gone over very well so far....everyone gets a good laugh out of it, when i introduce them to my 'Hate' Sauce. This one I'd keep for live events and stuff, and not push towards retail should i ever get to that level.

While I take this 100% seriously and have large dreams, I do want to have a little fun with it....

GeminiCrow said:
you wouldn't believe how many people are allergic to blackberries (i am learning). LOL

I believe it. I happen to be allergic to hibiscus. Someone once gave me a product sample and I started coughing like crazy - only after that reaction did they tell me there was hibiscus in the product, so I applaud your desire to get out ahead of this one. But with a name like "Blackberry Belle" you'd think people would know....lol 
GeminiCrow said:
While I take this 100% seriously and have large dreams, I do want to have a little fun with it....

I support that idea - but putting "disregard" in your ingredients list could have an impact. 

People take food safety pretty seriously. Like I said - my gut reaction to it was not good. The rest, sure - whatever. But saying you have disregard can be interpreted many ways and none of them good. 

Agreed. Asking someone who is doing the same thing, it might be hard to truly separate personal and business opinion..

hate sauce is part of the gimmick...having fun....

not the hottest sauce in the world, but definitely serves the few who have tried my others and said, 'that ain't hot' well enough....

You da man!

I'll remove disgregard.....Probably 'Ire' too, cause i'm sick of explaining what it means to people. LOL

Typos-
DESSERT
chilehead (one word)
strikingly

Is the sauce straight forward or a cacophony?  Opposite words.

Back to the card, if you're trying to make a sell sheet (like the one you got from me in NY) that's a much bigger item. If you try to get all of this on a 5x7 I think you're doing yourself a disservice. It's gonna be really tiny, hard to read and you'll serve neither purpose well. Jack of all trades, master of none and all that. 

I gave a suggestion above for how to make it work on a 5x7, but I do think you'd be better off emulating the tri-fold style sell sheet if you really want to make a dual purpose sell-sheet, including bar-coding and pallet specs. 

Otherwise make 2 things:
1. a customer-facing item list with descriptions and a link to each products web page for ingredients etc. 
2. a sell-sheet for retailers who need the ingredients, bar-codes and critical info like distributor contact info and product specs. 

Good luck! 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

Back to the card, if you're trying to make a sell sheet (like the one you got from me in NY) that's a much bigger item. If you try to get all of this on a 5x7 I think you're doing yourself a disservice. It's gonna be really tiny, hard to read and you'll serve neither purpose well. Jack of all trades, master of none and all that. 

I gave a suggestion above for how to make it work on a 5x7, but I do think you'd be better off emulating the tri-fold style sell sheet if you really want to make a dual purpose sell-sheet, including bar-coding and pallet specs. 

Otherwise make 2 things:
1. a customer-facing item list with descriptions and a link to each products web page for ingredients etc. 
2. a sell-sheet for retailers who need the ingredients, bar-codes and critical info like distributor contact info and product specs. 

Good luck! 

I will very very likely do something in the same vein of your tri-fold when I am closer to being ready to tackle retail.....simply too much at the moment...
this Fall, when the market season ends, I will be hitting up all the local stores near my markets to take some in, but still down the line a bit....next Spring, I will start trying to grow.....Right now, I'm still just trying to 'be out there sampling and selling' to a live audience...

GeminiCrow said:

I will very very likely do something in the same vein of your tri-fold when I am closer to being ready to tackle retail.....simply too much at the moment...
this Fall, when the market season ends, I will be hitting up all the local stores near my markets to take some in, but still down the line a bit....next Spring, I will start trying to grow.....Right now, I'm still just trying to 'be out there sampling and selling' to a live audience...

In that case, use your limited real estate to maximum effect. Lose the ingredients list on each item on this card. Focus on making it the best customer-facing promotional card you can. Clean up all the flotsam, leave product name and description. Leave a little empty space so the viewer's eye can be directed to critical info. Less is more. 

Throw in a splatter code for each that links to the web page for each - they can get more info and ingredients there. Use the card to drive traffic to your website. If you give them the milk why would they buy the cow? Tease them with the card and have folks follow it to the web page. Action! 
This will allow you to use larger, friendlier fonts for the product descriptions and product logos/branding.  And also for your own overall branding. 

On a 5x7 this is gonna be a nightmare for people to read with all this on it. 

Best advice I've got. 

(I still think 5x7 is small for 5 products though....)

Throw in a splatter code for each that links to the web page for each - they can get more info and ingredients there. Use the card to drive traffic to your website. If you give them the milk why would they buy the cow? Tease them with the card and have folks follow it to the web page. Action! 

Best advice I've got. 
I think i get what you mean by splatter code, but maybe you should explain it for the other people ?!? LOL

i think if people are interested enough, going directly to the website will be the easiest 'nudge' rather than a  geminicrow.com/blackberrybelle  type listing in each panel, if that's what you are meaning... am i in the ballpark? lol

Splatter code = QR code. Sorry - I'll use only technical terms from here out. lol

They're free and if someone is interested in ingredients and product pics for a specific product you can nudge them to the site and specific product page with a QR code.

Rule #1 as imparted to me by my marketing teacher: Never assume anything about customers. If you want them to do something, like checking a web page, steer them there.

By posting a QR code for each product it will actively drive page views in a measurable manner, provided you have website analytics available to you.

Active = QR code
Passive = cross your fingers and hope for the best

It's also a much more graceful option than posting a link that someone has to type for each product page. People like convenience - QR codes offer that.

Splatter code = QR code. Sorry - I'll use only technical terms from here out. lol

They're free and if someone is interested in ingredients and product pics for a specific product you can nudge them to the site and specific product page with a QR code.

Rule #1 as imparted to me by my marketing teacher: Never assume anything about customers. If you want them to do something, like checking a web page, steer them there.

By posting a QR code for each product it will actively drive page views in a measurable manner, provided you have website analytics available to you.

Active = QR code
Passive = cross your fingers and hope for the best

It's also a much more graceful option than posting a link that someone has to type for each product page. People like convenience - QR codes offer that.

Ahhh...I never really looked into all of that QR code stuff...
I'm usually good and interested with jumping on technological advances and stuff, but haven't gotten to this yet.

I like the idea, and will check it out...Won't be able to get it going tonight...

I'll do a small batch of cards to last me a month or so, and re-visit the QR stuff when I'm ready to re-order.....I have a promo merch company ,so post cards cost me next to nothing to produce....

Scott, truly appreciate all your advice! As well as you, Ann!  God-sends!

Scott,

Should I have a QR code for each panel (each individual sauce), or one on the card for the main website. Having six of those codes on the card might look cluttered.....A good idea for the eventual tri-fold......

Talk to me!

more typo or at least note to check-
hell-fire or hellfire

...as the bj peppers WREAK havoc -or- bj pepper WREAKS havoc...

still seeing" chile head"   not chilehead

Back