• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Post ferment process question with an aside...

Have first jar of jalapeno and serano pepper chunks at 10 days room temp.  All looks good.  Not a super hot pepper head [yet] so will probably ferment some tomatillos in a separate jar to add flavor and reduce heat.  Was planning to run the fermented pepper chunks in the blender, taste and then add tomatillo until desired flavor/heat profile is achieved.  Maybe food mill, maybe not.  Then into the fridge for storage and use.  Will adjust pH if above 4.0.

Question:  Will flavors "marry" better leaving LAB slowly active (in fridge) or by simmering on stove in traditional food sauce preparation style (but thereby killing LAB)?  

Here's an aside...
So the wife is asking... can you make me some pickled veggies? Sure, say I... so into a jar went some celery and carrot sticks, bite sized cauliflower chunks, and an Anaheim for good measure (couldn't find any fresh pepperoncinis).  2% brine, closed it up and airlock on top.  It's at day 3 and looks like the natural LAB kicked off and all is well.  

Well, last night I dreamt it was done... the moment of truth... she opened the jar, took the first bite.... and expecting to see a big smile, received "Yuk! That's awful!" and spit it into the sink.  

I told her this morning and she responded, "Poor you!  That was some nightmare."  Am I thinking too much about fermentation or what? 

shortbus said:
Have first jar of jalapeno and serano pepper chunks at 10 days room temp.  All looks good.  Not a super hot pepper head [yet] so will probably ferment some tomatillos in a separate jar to add flavor and reduce heat.  Was planning to run the fermented pepper chunks in the blender, taste and then add tomatillo until desired flavor/heat profile is achieved.  Maybe food mill, maybe not.  Then into the fridge for storage and use.  Will adjust pH if above 4.0.

Question:  Will flavors "marry" better leaving LAB slowly active (in fridge) or by simmering on stove in traditional food sauce preparation style (but thereby killing LAB)?  

Here's an aside...
So the wife is asking... can you make me some pickled veggies? Sure, say I... so into a jar went some celery and carrot sticks, bite sized cauliflower chunks, and an Anaheim for good measure (couldn't find any fresh pepperoncinis).  2% brine, closed it up and airlock on top.  It's at day 3 and looks like the natural LAB kicked off and all is well.  

Well, last night I dreamt it was done... the moment of truth... she opened the jar, took the first bite.... and expecting to see a big smile, received "Yuk! That's awful!" and spit it into the sink.  

I told her this morning and she responded, "Poor you!  That was some nightmare."  Am I thinking too much about fermentation or what? 

Greetings shortbus
And welcome to both you and your missus.
In response to Q#1:
Personally, I only cook my fermented projects when I plan to pressure can them for friends or long term shelf storage.
About 95% of the time my ferments go into the fridge for storage until I decide to use them(which is usually every day, and I currently have 17 jars in my fridge.
The flavor blend.....meld....and become complex wonderfully as the LAB (even though slowed significantly) continue to do their thing. I have veggies of all sorts ,pickled peppers, dill green beans...cukes-sweet and dill.....carrots with garlic, cauliflower and blood orange...sweet pickled beets...etc.    Some are only a few weeks/months old....while some of my pepper mashes have been aging and maturing for several years (and they are my prized possessions.)
But IMO...most veggies (besides hot peppers) only need to ferment at room temp for 2-3 days before going into the fridge. Much longer than that has a significant impact on the texture...regardless of the amount of salt in the ferment.

And about that dream.....my dear wife allows me to pretty much dominate the fridge with my ferments. (probably due to the fact that I do 99% of the cooking and grocery shopping. And she flat out dislikes fermented food...of nay kind..no if, and, or buts. She doesn't even like soy sauce...so...you might need to be prepared ...just in case that sink thing to happens...
Enjoy
CM

Welcome Shortbus!

Monsta, 

My wife too dislikes fermented food and she does the grocery shopping. I only get to put 6 jars in. Haven't figured how I'm going to get the next two jars in the fridge. Late night by the cover of darkness I guess!

swellcat said:
Testicles are undervalued.  Reclaim them.
Testicles are highly valued appreciated and revered at my homestead..by both myself (first hand)and the missus...and has nothing to do with the active ferments in the fridge,or  who purchases and puts foodstuff's on the table at meal time.

Valleyman said:
Welcome Shortbus!

Monsta, 

My wife too dislikes fermented food and she does the grocery shopping. I only get to put 6 jars in. Haven't figured how I'm going to get the next two jars in the fridge. Late night by the cover of darkness I guess!
Disguise...make them look like ketchup....cocktail sauce....and under the cover of darkness works perfectly.

I'm confused are we fermenting testicles now? Started fermenting about a month ago seems to be all I can talk about right now. Family and friends think I'm losing my mind! Jokes on them I lost that thing a long time ago. :)

Back