Pot in pot idea

I am pretty sure someone had already thought of this but here goes.

So what I did is bury a pot in the planters on the top balcony. This way i can slide in a pot of the same size with a plant inside, and have it grow there. I resorted to this attempt because i wanted to make use of the planters (horrible clay soil, when i dug the holes and put water so the soil sediments,it took 6 minutes to drain). Also this makes weeding and moving plants easier.

A37D4159-3ABB-4D4A-B7A6-0266C68E661F_zps52lhfevh.jpg

74BBA1AE-9B97-457A-B987-B1A29583240C_zpsptos5ijz.jpg

My mom actually does that with her plumerias. She buries the pots in the ground outside to make moving them into the greenhouse easier come winter time.

The only problem i can see with this is that over time, if the pot is removed, the one inside will warp due to soil being soil

Its a good idea especially if the plants plants wilt easily from the sun. Only two drawbacks from doing this is of course you will be unable to pot up the plants or move them unless you dig them up. The soil will help keep the roots cooler which means less wilting/watering and the roots will become in bedded into the soil when they come out of the bottom of the pot.

The cooling is deff true, especially on those hot days. Potting up is impossible unless you want to dig more holes. This has one more added benefit, when you fertilize, you are fertilizing only the plant not the 1000 liters of soil/weeds around it. 

One more thing, just had a sudden hailstorm here, just took them out and shoved them under the table. saved 

Back