seeds Pot Maker and seed starting...

Wondering if anyone else is this hippie.  Year round, i save junk mail.  We get a few mini news paper things.  Kind of like free samples for the larger newspaper version.  Then, this time of the year, I use a pot maker to twist the stuff that would normally be garbage into little pots for seed starting.  When the roots start to show themselves threw the paper, time to put into a larger container.  Once they make it into the ground, the newspaper has mostly broken down.

Example of one of the pot makers: This is the brand I bought, but I have seen lots others.

ajdrew said:
Wondering if anyone else is this hippie.  Year round, i save junk mail.  We get a few mini news paper things.  Kind of like free samples for the larger newspaper version.  Then, this time of the year, I use a pot maker to twist the stuff that would normally be garbage into little pots for seed starting.  When the roots start to show themselves threw the paper, time to put into a larger container.  Once they make it into the ground, the newspaper has mostly broken down.

Example of one of the pot makers: This is the brand I bought, but I have seen lots others.
I do this every year. I get bundles of old newspapers from the printers in the next town over. For forms I use old tin cans some that are tomato paste size and some regular size. It has worked well for me for many years , but then again I love jiffy pellets.

ajdrew said:

We've been using the same one for about 20 years.

Someguy, how do you get the bottom to bunch up and stay?  This thing has an indent and a bottom thing that you push and then twist, pushes the newspaper into a tight little bundle at bottom.

Neoguy, no avatar.  Gotta know, are you a long hair?  I think I ordered mine out the back of Mother Earth News.  Kind of amazed i havent lost it over the years.  I loose everything.

ajdrew said:
Someguy, how do you get the bottom to bunch up and stay?  This thing has an indent and a bottom thing that you push and then twist, pushes the newspaper into a tight little bundle at bottom.
When I pull it off the can I just put my fingers on the inside and smash the bottom against my palm. I then put compost in it and everything just stays together.

i started doing this last year, I just use a can of beans, works great especially if you keep them pushed together, really holds the moisture.  I do remove them before planting though.  I then bury the paper under the mulch for the worms.

Back