pot size.

I'm using 20L (5gal) pot size, but then i found this and they say that chili plants should have small pots?? Maybe as small as 1L first year, but that must be a problem? All my plants are first year and they are big, maybe not 3 times as a 5gal pot, but big. Is this bullshit?

http://plants4presents.co.uk/chilli.aspx

The bigger the pot, the bigger the rootmass, the bigger the rootmass the more nutrients get absorbed, the more nutrients absorbed the bigger the plant will grow / produce.

i went from 500ml pot to 20L without problems, it does take time for the roots to grow ofc which results in a pause in foliage growth sometimes when you transplant or "overpot" which is maybe what they are alluding to?

but it's bullshit that they don't need to be repotted for the first year... if you want a big plant, get a big container.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9YdkmmJeuU

I agree that you shouldn't start in a big pot, but you will need it eventually (if its not going in the ground). I don't think plants suffer from transplanting them to a much bigger pot. Instead, they focus on the roots and grow a lot more of them. Which will make your plants grow slower/delay them first but when they take off you will be amazed so its definitely worth it. BIG pots!

Yeah I totally am with not starting in a large pot....From experience I made that mistake...

This year I had a 55 gallon drum I cut in half so they are roughly 22sh gallons each...One of them I put a green hab in their straight from the nursery...The plant was only like 7' maybe 8" tall when I put in the 22 gallon pot....It took forever for the green hab to take off, IMO I think it is due to the root system getting established and being it is in such a huge pot the root system tries to establish itself in such a huge mass of soil it doesn't use much energy into top growth as it does root growth establishing itself in such a huge pot.....Now don't get me wrong, when my green hab finally took off it took off like a bat out of hell due to the healthy huge root mass it established itself with....it just took much longer then I think is normal if I would have went with smaller pots and potted up as it grew...

this is my theory anyways not sure of I am right or wrong... :high:

I always get the largest healthiest plants by starting with a larger pot, not transplanting later beyond the starter soil indoors.  If my climate/grow season length allowed for it I would even direct sew seed into the large pot soil to avoid any transplanting.

I suspect it is merely an optical illusion if you put a plant in a large pot and think it is growing slow, that it's just that you have a small young plant and a lot of pot around it.  If it is growing a lot of roots due to the larger amount of soil, that directly benefits growing a lot of leaves  and stem.  It's not as though if it has a chance to grow a lot of roots that it would grow fewer leaves and stems, or eventually pods, rather the opposite.  

The reason a larger pot is so important even for a small plant is that this allows minimal watering to maintain an adequate level of soil moisture.  This keeps the soil from compacting much while the roots get started so that the roots suspend the soil and it always stays fluffy for better aeration and drainage.  The smaller the pot and more often you have to water it, the less you will have this ideal.  Transplanting later does not make up for this, it will still help but then the compact root mass is depleting nutrients from a smaller area still until it grows into the additional soil.

5 gallon pots are only good for short growing seasons.  That is the undersized pot size, not the larger pot size it is best to aim for.  1L pot the first season only serves to dwarf the plant.  Their picture shows about 10 pods on a plant that must be over 2 months old to already have them ripened.  If you want 10 pods instead of hundreds then use a 1L pot.

To start in a big pot or not….. that is the question. Wait. I thought "to be or not to be" was the question!  :P

I think it would be interesting to compare both plant size and production over a handful of years - one plant in a big pot that never gets transplanted vs. one plant that is progressively repotted to larger sizes. My bet would go with the plant in the larger pot over time. Yes, the first year in particular it might under-produce compared to those in smaller pots (but look at the video juanitos posted as evidence), but even if it did, I suspect it would out-produce over time by a significant factor. 

the best way that works for me is to transplant at least 3 times....4 if I have time..

seed starter tray to 3-4" containers

3-4" containers to 6" containers

6 " containers to 5 gallon containers...

I want to have a relatively densely packed root ball before each pot up...reason being in my mind, I want to put the maximum root density the plant can stand without being root-bound...it just seems the plant will be more efficient in its uptake of nutrients and water...

Yes, the first year in particular it might under-produce compared to those in smaller pots...

^  I see substantial differences the first year.  At 4 months old, mine directly transplanted from solo cups to 20 gallon containers have around ~ 1000 pods each and about that many blooms waiting for a bee to come along...

Same type, age, and transplant-size plants put in 5 gallon containers right next to them (identical sun/soil/everything except necessarily higher watering frequency) are about half their size and # of pods.  I'm sure they will grow more but so will the ones in 20 gal.

However, space is the great equalizer.  Two 5 gallon bucket plants will fit in the space of 1, 20 gallon container plant, but need watered more often.  IMO the main reason to use anything but the largest pot possible is if someone is paying a premium for ready-made soil.  I'd hate to think what it would cost if I were buying soil for a lot of 20 gallon pots.

not arguing with you Dave...as we all know we do our own thing...if it works for you that is great, but in the system I have created the above works best for me...I just usually don't have time to go to larger than 5 gallon the first year...second and third is a different story...

besides what works for me might not work for you...

AlabamaJack said:
not arguing with you Dave...as we all know we do our own thing...if it works for you that is great, but in the system I have created the above works best for me...I just usually don't have time to go to larger than 5 gallon the first year...second and third is a different story...

besides what works for me might not work for you...
Exactly different strokes for different folks.

Also depends hugely on your climatic conditions. If you live in a very wet climate for instance planting smaller plants into larger containers could lead to root rot issues if your soil is not freely draining ...
Conversely in a very hot dry climate the larger containers could help insulate the root mass from heat stress and water stress during the younger more tender growing cycle

This year I have in 8 inch pots (highta are excluding pots) and still growing...

105cm high red 7 pot

100cm high red 7 pot

87cm high yellow Brain

This year I decided I would keep all of my first year plants in small pots with the hopes of having smaller plants.... Well I've ended up with 3 of my biggest ever!!!

Oh in smaller pots I have the moruga's & Barrackapore's and even these are producing heavy. The moruga's are around 45cm in hight and the Barrackapore's 60cm, the latter are very bushy.

All plants have produced much earlier then ever before too.

My conclusion would be to grow in smaller pots if your growing season is not so great, like it is in the UK.

Downside to small pots is you will need to be more mindful of nutrients.

^  You're welcome to conduct and document that experiment next growing season.   For now, it's a bit late in the year to start plants both ways.  I already mentioned my rationale and in fact I do notice less soil compaction by reduction of water rate early on.  You may not if your soil is a different consistency.  Some people even say to "water in" a plant really good when you transplant.  I don't to that.  I get the soil damp days ahead of time and let it drain, but then resist watering until the plant shows signs of needing it.

Plants for Presents are on drugs!
That poor scrawny pepper trying to grow in a half-full pot makes me sad.  Small containers can work if you fertilize regularly - I've seen some very respectable plants here on THP growing from square-foot gardens or smallish containers - but stuffing your chili into a 1 liter pot is just sadistic.

AlabamaJack said:
the best way that works for me is to transplant at least 3 times....4 if I have time..

seed starter tray to 3-4" containers

3-4" containers to 6" containers

6 " containers to 5 gallon containers...

I want to have a relatively densely packed root ball before each pot up...reason being in my mind, I want to put the maximum root density the plant can stand without being root-bound...it just seems the plant will be more efficient in its uptake of nutrients and water...
AJ in your youtube video's was that all 5 gallon pots; those were some really good size plants.

jimbo53 said:
AJ in your youtube video's was that all 5 gallon pots; those were some really good size plants.

yes sir...most of them...I think I had some in 25s and maybe a couple in 10s, but the majority are in 5 gallon nursery containers

Back