Pot size ???

Hi, new to growing peppers, learning a lot reading here.
I know the pot or container size will effect the size the plant will grow to. So my question is,
Will a deep but narrow pot grow a taller plant than a shallow but really wide pot ?
Is depth or width more important for getting a tall/large plant ?
Thanks

Draw your own conclusions
fig78.jpg

ChillnInAus said:
I know the pot or container size will effect the size the plant will grow to. So my question is,
Will a deep but narrow pot grow a taller plant than a shallow but really wide pot ?
Is depth or width more important for getting a tall/large plant ?

There are many influences on growing plants in pots, one being perched water table

To answer highlighted above - ?Depends? -

Makes no difference what size pot you used, an ornamental pepper plant will not grow noticeably taller, as in 6" with a  5 gallon/12"  dia. pail  opposed to a 1 gallon 3" dia. pot to 2 feet tall...........

Same holds  for aji grown in an eggshell.......

photo_zpsd82a99e8.jpg

evolka said:
Draw your own conclusions
fig78.jpg

And what conclusions are to be drawn?  There are literally no parameters attached to this graphic.  
In general, I assume that conclusions are there to be drawn, when sufficient evidence is present, to actually address some initial assumptions.  This is particularly ironic, in that you have implied that this is a "black and white" result.
To the OP - there are reasons why one would choose a taller pot.  To understand this, first consider that every media has a "saturation zone" - also referred to as a "perched water table".  This is a physical property of all aggregate materials, under a particular particle size.  Basically, it is the ability of a media to hold water - like a sponge - before the water weight overcomes the tension of the aggregate.  You can demonstrate it with a sponge.  Notice that you can fill a sponge with water to a certain point, and then it starts leaking out.  However, a certain amount of water is held in the sponge, provided that it is not acted upon by an outside force. (wringing)
When applied to a media, the effect is very much the same.  It's a sponge. This zone is the same for the aggregate, regardless of the size, shape, or volume.  That is to say - it will occupy the same relative column height in the container, regardless of the characteristics of the container. \
So what does all that mean for you?  Well, if you live in a climate that gets tons of rain, or you have a problem with overwatering, you'll be better off with a tall container, that holds water farther away from the root mass.  If you are in a dry climate, you may want to consider shorter containers, to retain moisture near the root zone.  There are numerous scenarios for choosing tall or short containers.  This is just a very rudimentary example.

Thanks for the info guys.
Seems my thoughts that, the size the root system could grow(depth and width of root system) would determine the size the plant would grow, is not really right.

solid7 said:

And what conclusions are to be drawn?  There are literally no parameters attached to this graphic. 
The root system of the pepper grows more in breadth than in depth.

evolka said:
The root system of the pepper grows more in breadth than in depth.

Root systems are adaptable, and part of their growth habit is determined by their structure (monocot vs dicot), and part is determined by their environment.
In containers, roots do not have either the need, nor the opportunity, to spread in a well-defined pattern.  They will grow to fill every available space, eventually becoming root bound.  And the root mass is a function of the foliage area.  The larger the plant's drip line, and the more leaves, the more roots required.
Your graphic might be representative of a plant in earth - but it has no real significance in a container.  The roots have to go where they are able.  And as I mentioned, if you have an area that holds water, that can be problematic.  We negate the problem by using a tall container, and adding root volume above the saturation zone.  You can do similar with extra wide containers, but at the expense of floor area.  So tall containers are often the better choice.  Use wide containers if you want to keep the roots cooler, due to the insulating effect of the lateral mass. (contact with the ground is insulation by a large geothermal mass)

So,  what is a chile,  monocot or dicot..?

Well, seems you're saying no container is big enough to let the root system expand/form like its programed too...
And from what I've seen, even upgrading from #5fabric(about 4.5gal) to real capacity7.5gallon fabric pots this year, they still aren't big enough. End of the year now they still are yearning for a transplant to bigger... Is a 55 gal drum cut in half big enough to fool a plant that its in a earth soil plant, will the media mix need to change...?

acs1 said:
So,  what is a chile,  monocot or dicot..?

Well, seems you're saying no container is big enough to let the root system expand/form like its programed too...
And from what I've seen, even upgrading from #5fabric(about 4.5gal) to real capacity7.5gallon fabric pots this year, they still aren't big enough. End of the year now they still are yearning for a transplant to bigger... Is a 55 gal drum cut in half big enough to fool a plant that its in a earth soil plant, will the media mix need to change...?

I don't think that it either seems nor sounds like that is what I'm saying at all.  What I said, and what I stand by, is that containers aren't the same as growing in soil, and roots don't grow the same in containers, due to obvious limitations.  I said absolutely nothing about "fooling" plants.  I simply said that the graphic was bullshit, given that all roots will eventually root bind in the kinds of containers that we grow in.  That graphic is literally not even worth paying attention to, in this context.  It's irrelevant.

Don't misunderstand me, wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, I actually agree with you from my anecdotal experience.

Sorry, should have asked better. Whats the correct answer to this topic..?

To the best of my knowledge, the shape of the container will not affect height, directly.  The root mass that is available to support the biomass above ground, is what's important.  So choose the container based on the parameters that affect you.  Precipitation/humidity are driving factors, as are heat/humidity.  Make sure that the media selection corresponds with the previous parameters.  If you can keep your plant's roots happy, you can grow epic plants - but all growing media have built-in constraints.
In short - I wouldn't recommend taller containers, just on the idea that it will make a taller plant.  And when in doubt, vary your methods, and do side-by-side experimentation, until you figure out what really works best for you.

Starting to run out of pots. Nothing in the garage or shed that can hold soil is safe ;)   Everything is getting filled with potting mix and being put to use.
Even the old wheelie bin had a cut down. Makes it easy to move around chasing the sunny spots. 
The small green sprouts poking their heads up around the Cayenne is Oregano as a ground cover and a couple of Basil plants. I call it my pizza making pot. :P   Now to work out how to grow pepperoni . lol

ResizerImage374X498.jpg

evolka said:

Okay

What are you trying to say?

Hi! Two things. The first is that's a great reference on root development-shape, I bookmarked it. The other was, did you lift that illustration from the site? If yes, how? The information on the url very helpful & I'd like to replicate your procedure if I can.

TIA!

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Hi! Two things. The first is that's a great reference on root development-shape, I bookmarked it. The other was, did you lift that illustration from the site? If yes, how? The information on the url very helpful & I'd like to replicate your procedure if I can.

TIA!
Right click on image - copy image url

Back