• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pot Sizes

Well, I am working on going to plan B for this season with my plants. Originally I had plans to over winter about 12 plants which are already in 5 gallon containers. Since the damn rain won't stop and there is no good outlook for it stopping anytime soon which means they probably won't be going in the ground as I had planned to do, I have decided to just keep all the plants in pots for this season.

So, my question is, if I decided to just keep all the plants in pots for the season (still only overwintering 12), what size pots are recommended for a season for full size plants so that they won't get root bound over the season? 1, 2, 3, 5 gallon?

I would say min of 5 so ya could just leave um, I like to go as big as I can... I have a 65 gallon or so I am saving for a special one... not sure which one it will be, Bishops Crown maybe... don't know yet...

im using 10 gallon grow bags. they are great so far... im using a homemade promix and my 5-6ft tall tabasco plant lasts for 3 days easy without watering. cheep too.
http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-10-Gallon-Grow-Bags.asp

if money is no concern... they make smart pots all the way up to 300 gallons. they cost a bit however...

According to the Virginia Cooperative Extension, pot size for peppers is 2 gallons. Personally, me thinks that might be a typo. :)

I use a nursery #7, which is a little over 6 gallons. Measures roughly 12"x12".

I would think bigger is better with container size. With the number of plants you guys have, potting everything into 15 gallon pots would be a huge project.
Maybe you could treat each plant individually. Some will benefit from bigger containers more than others. Just start potting to larger sizes as needed based on how each one is growing.
Just my thoughts. There are definitely more qualified container gardeners here @ THP.

Back