• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pot up cotys or wait for first true leaves?

I have two seedling trays inside a dome and on a heat mat, and at the moment about 70% have popped.

Would you recommend potting up the ones that have popped or can I continue to wait for first true leaves (and for the remainder)?

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
I wait for true leaves. Take the dome off and let them tell you when it is time after they get stronger.
That's right, they'll tell you when.

smileyguy697 said:
I pot them up soon as they pop. Actually if I'm potting up more than a couple and there is a hook i do that one too.
This year I did the same as this good sir. I don't think it matters if they're in some kind of root plug or jiffy. If they're in soil, then I'd wait like the others say, for better root structure, and easier transplant.

-Walt

This year I did the same as this good sir. I don't think it matters if they're in some kind of root plug or jiffy. If they're in soil, then I'd wait like the others say, for better root structure, and easier transplant.

-Walt

Good idea! I have mine planned in coir so I suppose I'll wait a bit. Thanks!

They may be fine to transplant into larger containers while still having cotyledons but why risk it when you don't have to? 
This is not a race as the Chinense peppers will take months before you even see a flower.

Back