• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Potawie's Pepper Progress 2008

Well its spring so its time to get the camera out and get the greenhouse setup and also time to start gradually acclimatizing the plants to the greenhouse environment during the sunny days.

Here's a pic of some big overwintered plants and a few early started ones and 2 toms, and of course my junk:lol:

Damn all you and your pritty plants! But soon, soon my babies will alrise from their dirt tombs for all the world to see!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

very nice, and looks like lots of fun to lug in and out of the greenhouse (especially that big one, lift with your knees!)
i'm getting jealous, i'm gonna take a picture of my planties with my film camera and then scan it so i can show off to... i'll do it when flat stanley gets here, cuz i have to do that with him anyways.

The big one left of center is a 3rd year pequin that I imagine will get huge this year. The fun part is the snowbank I have to climb over between the house and the greenhouse and also the meltwater that puddles and freezes my greenhouse door shut at night:(

Great looking plants Potawie! You definitely have a head start over my, I'm going to have to try overwintering a couple next year to see how it works.

lookin good.
did you have any problems with aphids ???
where do you overwinter a plant ... I was thinking spare bedroom as it gets a little light or can I put them in a closet with a small grow light??

Next fall, my overwintered plants will get much less light and heat but I'm still trying to master this technique. They got too much light off the start Oct/Nov and had to be cut back again and the aphids just love the new growth. I've got several more overwintered plants starting to look good too now that the aphids are under control.

I just put out my two (orange riccoto and limon hab) yesterday. It finally got warm enough. Now to get my seeds started......

That's the only bad thing about living here. The season starts pretty late due to the altitude. I won't have nights that stay over 50F for about another month.

Nice plants...I must overwinter some of the plants this year, especially Rocotos.

Thanks for showing.. :mouthonfire:

This last fall I cut back 8 or 9 plants for overwintering, the most I've ever done, and they are all looking good but craving more sunshine.

Potawie...I have a question for you...my grow box will hold comfortably 8 5 gallon containers...do you think it possible to keep plants (that have been grown outside) producing in the box year round?...if the environment is controlled would the peppers continue to produce as long as you pick the pods? I know in the summer here, I will get an early crop, a second crop and almost a third crop...just wondering..

I started giving them more light, including some artificial light in early February but it was a little early and the aphids got some of the new growth so most were cut back again. Right now they are beside my patio doors and windows when they aren't in the greenhouse.

As for growing over the winter AJ, I would not recommend it unless you have more powerful lighting setup and even then you really have to watch for aphids and other pests. I figure cutting the plant and roots way back and letting the plants go semi-dormant for a few months(3-4 here) is the easiest way to overwinter and produce huge 2nd year plants. Very little cost or effort is involved. When bringing plants from outdoors make sure to spray foliage and treat the soil for pests or they'll spread very quickly.

I am thinking I am going to try it this coming year, at least a few good producing plants...for the 16 sq ft grow area, I have about 40K lumens...and have the space for another 30K...that will give me at least 60...depending on what color temp bulbs I use...

the pest preventive part is one thing I had not thought of when transfering plants inside...

I suppose I am wondering just how many crops a plant will give before it just gives up trying...

I will also overwinter plants the way you have talked about with cutting the plant and roots back too...

thanks for the advice...

Back