• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried POTOWIE! dried anchos smell like raisins

I was gonna PM potowie, but I thought others might like to hear the answer.

I couldn't pass up a huge bag of dried Anchos at the store. 30 or so ripe dried pods for $5.

I popped them in the dehydrator because they weren't quite crispy enough for powdering.

They smell very raisiny. Is that normal?

I figure that they are sun dried (like raisins) and that may have something to do with it. The slow heat can have a caramelizing effect, like cooking onions in butter on LOW for a couple of hours.

The poblanos I dried and ground from fresh did not smell like this!

Did you let your Poblanos ripen bfore you dried?There are several varieties,some black,some red,some brown.If they are stickey they are very fresh!Try rehydrating some,cover with very hot water,submerge with another bowl,add to blender and add the soaking water to desired cosistency.You cxan also add Pasillas,Chipotles,New Mex,etc.Cook down with some onions,broth some ,raisens,pumpkin seeds,chocolate even for a wide range of sauces.I like to grind mine also for a rub base.

Scoville I do something very similar with anchos. I rehydrate them, puree them then use that ancho paste as a base for a Honey/Ancho BBQ sauce for chicken. Just a bit of cider vinegar, some honey, garlic, onion and a few spices. Then I divide it in half, add more vinegar and more salt to one half and use it for a marinade, then I add a bit of chicken stock & brown sugar to the other half and reduce it down to BBQ sauce thickness on the stove.

I haven't done this in a long time, I'll have to soon and post pics :)

Hey cheezedoodle. I've always found the mulato or negro types of poblano to smell like plums/raisins and the red ones are sort of fruitier. Mix some ancho red, ancho mulato and pasilla powder to form the holy trinity of dried mexican peppers

I use the powder when making cookies and ice cream becouse of that exact reason they smaell and taste like raisins. I use them for the super mild ice cream. You can make them even better by heating them up in a dry fry pan for a few mins then grind them up it brings out the fruity flavor and makes them so good.

So should I powder these? On your nod for ancho powder Potowie, I added it to my must haves, and rightfully so from last year's meager harvest, ut I'm not too sure about raisin powder.

They must be good for something.

Pasilla also makes wonderful tortillas.

Grind some in a molcajete (rough mortar and pestle) and mix it in the masa. Gives them a nice little bite and colors the masa nicely.

The black/red pieces are pasilla.

IMG_7608.jpg

That is the coolest post I have ever seen willard. No Joke.

The powder..(I have left it at a slightly coarser than powder grind) is awesome. It is sweeter than any paprika or red jalapeno powder I have tasted. No raisin, unless you count the slight caramalized flavor characteristic of everything from raisins to .....well,.....caramel.

I used it in some chicken that went into some incredible enchiladas....

Slight spice, earthy love, almost a chili powder of sorts.

Groovy Baby!

Back