• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pots

newbie question....tried searching but couldnt find anything

1. Local store has pots listed in inches.....how many inches is a 3 (and 5 ) gallon terra cotta pot?

2. when you water in pots do you botom water using the saucer (doesn't seem like you can fit much water in that thing)?

3. Is there any benefit (other than not having to tear up your yard) to planting in pots (is it better for future seed germination) ?

Thanks in advance for any help

my experience...I am sure others have input too...

1. Can't answer for terra cotta...5 gallon nursery containers are about 14" in diameter and about that deep.

2. I like to bottom water...I fill the saucer up, watch the plant drink it, fill it up again, watch it drink it, and repeat until the saucer will hold about 1/4 of the capacity...MHO

3. Not tearing the yard up by tilling is a major benefit for containers...(wife would not let me till up the yard this year but has agreed for me to put an in ground garden next year)...don't understand your question about "future seed germination"...

OK...don't know the answer...maybe Potawie, Billyboy, or some of the other pepper growers that grow in ground and containers can answer...maybe Pablo (willard3)

mrwicks said:
wondering if seeds from pods in pots have better germination rates than pods from ground

Not that I've ever noticed.

Most of my plants go into the ground, but some go into containers for space, soil safety, and because I plant to over-winter some of them. The safety issue is that the previous owner of this house had a car repair shed, one of the many sheds he had. I have concerns about what kind of chemicals might have soaked in the soil back there, though, so I have been letting lambs quarters grow since they take heavy metals out of the soil, and put containers on the concrete pad for now. I'll get the soil tested in a couple of years, then put the plants in containers where the lambs quarters grows now. I'll tear up the concrete and let the lambs quarters do its thing where the concrete was.

Container can have many advantages but it won't help your germination rates. Letting your peppers fully mature and save only the good looking seeds is what you want to do.
And terra-cotta pots are more expensive and dry out very quick, try plastic.

Back