• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Potted pepper plant spacing question

SadisticPeppers

eXtreme Business
A thought just occurred to me, and I wanted to get some good advice on proper spacing for my potted plants. As I've mentioned before in my oceanside glog, I wanna convert the strip of backyard I have between my covered patio and fence into an area to for my pepper plants, covering it with black landscaping fabric, and plugging in a drip irrigation in the back spigot. I can easily fit 3 rows of plants in there with plenty of room between the rows, and even with that, I was wondering if I could do a single-file line of plants in each row, or a pair of the same breed of plant side-by-side in each row. Would pairing up each plant per row be advisable, and if so, how far away from the next pair of plants in the row should they be. I'm debating between putting them all one next to the other, or spacing them at least 6 or 12 inches from each other on down the row.

I'm thinking of doing one row of Morugas (various colors), one of Bhuts (again, various colors), and the third of 7Pots (mainly Brain strains, Jonah's and anything else), with the other area of my backyard across the way for Butch T's.

I have read that bare minimum you would want is 12 inches between each plant, but it is recommended that you space 18inches or more. Although you could go more or less.

OK, cool, thanks for the info, guys :)

Here's a link to how I lined mine up across the back of my house when I had 48 plants: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/20241-2011-insanity-the-girls/?p=480535

You can see I generally had columns of two pots. As the plants got bigger, I spaced them out a bit more. The key is to know how wide the adult plants will get. A nursery site like Cross Country Nurseries (chileplants.com) has approximate sizes. Annuums don't usually get very wide, and it varies greatly amongst chinenses. The fataliis stayed pretty compact for me, growing more up than out, while congo trinidad grew more out. But honestly, not only how wide will the plants get, but how wide are you? I'm rather slender and don't need a lot of room between plants, but someone with a larger build would need more room. You'll need most of the room for harvesting, as sometimes those little pods can hide and you won't see them until you're down with the pots.

Back