• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Potted Plants - Double seedlings

Hi I am new to cultivating chillis, I purchased some Trinidad Scorpion seeds a couple months back and they are growing up quite nicely.

I grew the seedlings in little seed grower trays I got from a plant shop and the instructions said to sow 2-3 seeds in each pod and I did, the thing is now my pot plants have 2-3 plants growing right next to each other.

My main question is will this be ok, some seem to be thriving as a double plant as such, however some are small and show no signs of still growing, should these ones be removed? Will removing it disturb the bigger plant?

It might be hard to see, but there is a small one with a few leaves in between these two. Is it best removing it to stop it sucking nutrients etc out of the pot?

image.jpg

Should I think about removing the tiny new sprout on these new seedlings I did?

seed.jpg

Looks like this one got bent during growth, it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Should it be gone too?

small.jpg

How should I remove them, just snip them off at the stem or should I 'pluck' them and their roots or else the root system will continue to live?

Don't ever keep more than 1 plant in your pot! This is wrong for so many reasons. I start with 3 seeds in my pot and always remove the other 2 plants that look smaller. 1 plant per pot that is the rule

If they are literally right on top of each other, I really wouldn't.  You won't be able to separate without tearing up the roots badly.  If there is some space between them then you have a chance as long as they aren't more than 2 in tall or so.  If taller than that you may need to dip them in water to wash away some of the dirt to help separate.

better off to snip them off at the base . its that dreaded word we don't like ( culling )  no need to disrupt the thriving plant       :onfire:

Thanks for the advice guys,

Yea will cull the little ones and plant the double thriving one in a massive pot as suggested, give them both plenty of growing room :D

I start 4-5 seeds spread out as widely as possible in each Solo cup, then transplant when each has 2 or 3 sets of true leaves. Never have to cull this way. Just have to be careful the roots don't grow jumbled together.

future_man said:
Don't ever keep more than 1 plant in your pot! This is wrong for so many reasons. I start with 3 seeds in my pot and always remove the other 2 plants that look smaller. 1 plant per pot that is the rule
Newbie here just wondering why it's bad?

Also wondering why it is bad?

I have heard they will grow fine, but not as big as an individual but will both yield fruit, so you sort of even out in the end?

They don't seem to grow well with two. I'd separate the big ones and pot them up. If you damage the roots, there is plenty of time for them to recover.

I separate when they are much smaller. Easier to do and plenty and not much damage occurs. I agree with the others. One big strong plant vs 2. It seems that when crowed together whether in a pot or in the ground 2 never equal the one. 

Back