• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Potting Soil Problem

So this weekend I was planning to pot up the seedlings I have started. The problem I have was when I went to purchase some more Promix yesterday. I noticed they were having a sale on some potting soil I have used in the past.....Vermifire. I used this last season on some mature plants and really liked the mix. Having used in the past and being the cheapskate I am I decided to go with it. I noticed after I got it home that there was a caution in big bold letters on the back of the bag.....VERMIFIRE IS HOT AND MAY BURN SEEDLINGS. 

See here..
http://www.ehydroponics.com/vermicrop-vermifire-nutrient-rich-potting-soil-15-cu-ft.html

I am really bad at ferterlizers, but kinda worried about potting them in this soil now. Can someone take a look at the ferts in here and give me some recomendations. Should I go ahead and use it, should I wait till my seedlings are older, should I mix with Promix or should I bite the bullet and go get different soil

Not my picture, but most my seedlings are at this stage or younger.
6159628_f248.jpg

It's probably because it's overfertilized to last longer. Just flush it to lower the readily available nutes and fall back on the long term nutes that are in it. Or do what I do, mix it with some cutting/sowing soil to lighten the mix (or just use dirt).

here is the breakdown.....
I have about a half a bag of Promix left, was thinking of mixing it with this but wasnt sure if that would be enough to lower the risk. With the amount of promix i have i think it would be close to a 30% mix

• 1.6-1-0.6
  • Total Nitrogen (N) 1.6%
  • 0.152% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
  • 0.1% Nitrate Nitrogen
  • 0.408% Other Water Soluble Nitrogen
  • 0.94% Water Insoluble Nitrogen
  • Available Phosphate (P2O2) 1%
  • Soluble Potash (K2O) 0.6%
  • Calcium (Ca) 1%

• Derived from: Earthworm castings, Alfalfa meal, Blood meal, Feather meal, Bone meal, Humus, Kelp meal, Sulfate of potash and greensand

fwiw, OTHER water soluble nitrogen = urea.

water insoluble nitrogen generally referrs to CRF nitrogen... if this soil is suposed to be organic, this CRF nitrogen will likely be simple sulfer coated urea prills. you can see that most of the available nitrogen is of this type.

sulfur coated urea should pump nitrogen for like 6 weeks maby a little longer.

i take it that the NPK you posted, is the npk of the soil plus the fertilizer charge? if so, that's a pretty well cooked batch of soil id guess.... but id guess that your seedlings would do just fine regardless provided you do not add any more fertilizer.
i would not germinate seeds in this soil however, as non sterile soils tend to be harder on seedlings.

contrary to what most folks say, you can infact water seedlings full blast as if you would an adult plant... you just have to keep in mind that such small plants will take very very very little of this nitrogen up and it will accumulate quickly if one maintains proper runoff.

i water plants at 2ec well before any real leaves appear. they do just fine.

with that said, ive no experiance with organic fertilizers what so ever, so take the above with a grain or two of salt.

Back