• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Potting Up and Potting Out

For those that don't direct sow (which I assume is most of you), how many of you pot up more than once before 'potting out' or putting your plants in-ground?

If you do pot up more than once, why and how do you do it?

I'm looking at new starter media this year (rockwool, bark cubes, sponges) and wondering how y'all handle getting from germination to the final grow location.

I've gone straight from potting mix to ground most years, and sometimes from smaller cells to larger ones to ground/pots in others.

Just curious what y'all all do and why. Kind of a broad question, but one I'm very interested in hearing input about. Especially those using the media previously mentioned.

Any help is much appreciated.

I go from the 72 cell tray to a 12 or 16 oz party cups. Then I go into 8" pots before going into 5 gallon buckets or ground. I repot so many times to save as much space as I can under my grow lights. I get over excited and plant too early so that is another reason I pot up so many times.

If you are going to start in cells, I would at least pot up once before they make it into the ground. Cell tray to the cups should be enough if weather permits.

Hey mate, I've tried Jiffy 7's and rockwool, which both work well for me. I potted up to 2 1/2" pots after the roots were growing through the media, From those pots, straight to ground. but that's just me. depends entirely on when you start, and how much lighting and room you have in your starting area. If it's too cold outside, and you have room, potting up more often inside would be logical.

As for how, I use a basic potting mix, or more recently coco coir mix, and straight transplant. Both Jiffy's and rockwool are great for this.

Hope this helps mate

Just wait for a good rootball, remove plant and replant in a larger pot. I do this up to 8 times per plant and have great results. Just use a good loose well drained soil and resist the urge to pot up once to a large container or right into the ground

How do y'all handle variable growth habits (between disparate plants) and lighting? Especially those of you with more limited lighting rigs/room.

Back