• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Potting "up"

I have a number of potted peppers that I potted too deeply. I am debating whether it would be worth repotting them higher or if I should prune the bottom leaves and fill the rest of the pot up without disturbing the roots.

I am looking for opinions on this, and if I should prune the lowest leaves, do I need to worry about adding the medium too soon after I prune them? Can dirt in contact with cut stems cause harm?

I want the plants to have more root space but I am not sure it is worth the stress, they are doing plenty well at this point.

Thanks
-Phil

I have a number of potted peppers that I potted too deeply. I am debating whether it would be worth repotting them higher or if I should prune the bottom leaves and fill the rest of the pot up without disturbing the roots.

I am looking for opinions on this, and if I should prune the lowest leaves, do I need to worry about adding the medium too soon after I prune them? Can dirt in contact with cut stems cause harm?

I want the plants to have more root space but I am not sure it is worth the stress, they are doing plenty well at this point.

Thanks
-Phil

How many sets of leaves are you talking??? If its just a couple I wouldn't see any harm in removing the bottom couple of leaves and potting the soil higher. I have done that in the past with a variety of plants including chilli's and it hasn't affected them at all.
In fact more then likely they will just push out roots where the leaves once were if they are in constant contact with moist soil.
If you pull off too many however you will stress the plant somewhat which could slow down growth or kill the plants if they are very young. Thats my opinion for what its worth

Trippa, I was wondering about that. I know tomatoes will root out of the stem if you bury it, but I did not know about peppers. If that is the case I will definitely prune them. All of these plants have lots of sets of leaves, I think it would be a minor blow to prune the bottom handful, they spend the majority of each day under full shade from the upper foliage anyway. I would say max 4 sets of leaves, on many it would be one or two. I was concerned about cutting the stems and then burying the wound, though.

Trippa, I was wondering about that. I know tomatoes will root out of the stem if you bury it, but I did not know about peppers. If that is the case I will definitely prune them. All of these plants have lots of sets of leaves, I think it would be a minor blow to prune the bottom handful, they spend the majority of each day under full shade from the upper foliage anyway. I would say max 4 sets of leaves, on many it would be one or two. I was concerned about cutting the stems and then burying the wound, though.

Just don't cut them too close to the stem (ie leave a little nub so that the node is left intact)
When you think about it, it is no different then taking a cutting. When you take a cutting new roots are usually formed first at a leaf/stem node.

Good point, I never thought of it like that. I will definitely avoid disturbing the roots and just prune some leaves.

Thanks so much! This forum is so helpful.

You could also try scuffing up the stem a bit where the new soil with contact to help the roots push out from that area.

Earlier in the year I ordered some chilies from a (who I now know to be) sketchy dealer and they were the leggiest plants I've ever seen. I ended up burying about 3/4 of the plant and now they're one of my strongest growers, so take that for what you will.

.. Although what you may find happens is that you'll have stem growth coming out of the ground. I've been finding a couple zombie shoots from the plants that just pop up out of nowhere, not that I'm complaining.

Maybe I will scratch it up with a dime or something, do you think that is necessary Nova? It does seem like pepper stems are more hard and woody than tomatoes so maybe that would speed up the process.

Sync, I am excited to be able to beef up my plants' roots with that principle.

Good advice just pours out of this place.

It's best to use a sharp instrument like a stanley blade or similar, you don't want to carve it up just scuff it. It does help get those roots a happnin!

Back