• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Powder question for experienced powder makers

I am starting to dry my peppers to make powder. Does it matter if the seeds are included or will the seeds add a bitter taste to the powder? I know it will take a very long time to remove all the seeds from everything especially the thin peppers like De Arbol etc. Thanks for the input.

cut peppers in half and put them open side down in your dehydrator. almost all the seeds will fall out. then if you store them in a glass jar or however for a couple days before grinding them almost all of the rest of the seeds will be on the bottom of your jar. i make a lot of powder and dont take seeds out and dont ever have that many seeds in the powder.

I have found it depends on the type of pepper in most cases. Like sauces, many choose to leave the seeds in and you need to test taste through trial and error. 

sicman said:
cut peppers in half and put them open side down in your dehydrator. almost all the seeds will fall out. then if you store them in a glass jar or however for a couple days before grinding them almost all of the rest of the seeds will be on the bottom of your jar. i make a lot of powder and dont take seeds out and dont ever have that many seeds in the powder.
That is a great way to do this. I have the bhuts in the dryer that way today. Will the seeds still be good to plant after drying or not?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have found it depends on the type of pepper in most cases. Like sauces, many choose to leave the seeds in and you need to test taste through trial and error. 
I'll grind a few with and without. Thanks for the suggestion.

capehog said:
That is a great way to do this. I have the bhuts in the dryer that way today. Will the seeds still be good to plant after drying or not?

I'll grind a few with and without. Thanks for the suggestion.
As for the seeds, it depends on the temperature you are drying the pods at. I dry low enough where my seeds germinate perfectly fine after dehydration. 

What sicman said. I just made my 1st powder last week (fatalii/peach ghost scorp mix), and got lazy halfway through deseeding the peppers so left the seeds in the rest. By the time they were fully dried nearly all the seeds had fallen out. The few that were left in went in the grinder as well. Didn't notice any bitterness at all, just all flavour up front then a rush of heat. 

Back