• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake powder

not sure if i put this in the right forum or not but i have seen posts about powders in here and was wondering how do you go about making these powders and also does anyone have any to sell or trade so i can see if i want to try and make some. thanks rick.

Down to crumbs myself.

It's easy to do. Couple of tips. to make a fine powder make sure the pods are dry dry dry. Dry.Then break them down to small pieces by hand. You can use a cheap coffee bean grinder too. You might want to look for one that has a locking on button so you don't have to hold it forever. Oh, get a respirator too if you're going to make any serious amount.

Go to the marketplace forums, you'll find folks there with powder to sell.

I think everyone has given you the same advice. I dry my peppers in a dehydrator and then grind them up into a fine powder with a small coffee grinder. If you think your going to do this, the respirator is an excellent idea. Just get a good huff of that powder when you take off the lid to the grinder and you will be running to the Home Depot to get one.
I still have a few containers of Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich, and Moruga Scorpion powder still left. I sell them in those little plastic 2 ounce condiment containers you get at a restaurant. This is not to be confused with 2 ounces weighed out, but does show the volume. The first two are $10 each and the scorpion powder is $15.

When using a coffee grinder, I drape a damp cloth over the whole thing while grinding. It works great to keep from choking on fine superhot dust. For larger batches I use a regular blender with a glass mason jar on it. The threads match perfectly.

I cut the peppers before I dry them. So they dry faster and no risk of that stale taste dried peppers get. I also de seed. I have heard it's not needed. Others say it improves flavor. I do it because it is not that big of a deal.

The first thing you will do is taste the powder. Some powders taste great "raw". Some powders taste so so but greatly impove dishes. It is like paprika to me. Sucks unless it is on something.

Back