• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

PPM in a hydro system

No wonder mine are looking so crappy. I finally got a meter and in the three systems, I'm from 1,280 to over 4,200. I think I'll lay off the nuits for a day or three.

Thanks for the info!

Mike

Smartest thing to do is to dump your nutrient and run on straight water until the problem goes away....then start with lower ppm.

Except for white leaves in the center, they look good. Well, I think I lost two plants in a different system, the leaves just fell off completely. But the nuit level may be off because of the ph being so high. I wasn't able to get ph down over the weekend - this city seems to roll up its sidewalks.

Mike

You could use some lemon juice or vinegar to adjuist ph but I don't think the ph would affect the nutrient level

you are most likely not going to get down to ~5.5 with lemon juice, i would go get some ph down, and slowly add it over 5 minutes and let stand and then measure. no fun to have to go back up

Lemon juice should work fine and 6.5 is probably a better ph. I've never used apple cider vinegar but reg. vinegar should be OK although ph down is better

The trouble with using vinegar and etc in combination with commercial hydro nutrients is the nutrients are buffered to control Ph change.

You will start with a Ph of say 7.5 and add a bunch of vinegar which will bring the Ph down to 6.0. When you come back in an hour, the Ph will be 7.5 again and so ad infinitum.....

Commercial Ph up uses potassium carbonate and potassium hydroxide
Ph down uses phosphoric acid and the effect on Ph is long-lasting.

Willard,

I will be able to get out and about tomorrow and will pick up some pH down. I used Baking Soda when I thought the pH was too low (I'll never use papers again) and it worked great.

The main reason for using vinegar was to get the pH down without having to wait. It is helping my peppers, the white leaves are turning green again. The pH is at 6.2 currently, so even if it goes up a hair, it won't hurt.

Mike

Back