• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Prayers and Story for our friends with Matthew

Hurricanes are not funny.  Prayers for everyone facing Matthew and his after effects.  Thought I would share a story that might lift your heart just a wee bit.  My now late mother came to live with us in Kentucky when she was in her 80s.  She was addicted to Fox News.  TV on 24 hours a day.  We are so rural, it took about $100.00 a month to feed her satellite TV addiction, so we made fun of it now and then.  All good fun, not really angry at her or anything.

Not only do we live in Kentucky, we are in the foot hills and on top of a ridge.  Everything is down hill from where we can see.  Cow pasture across the way is maybe 30 feet lower than our house.  During one of the hurricanes, she was absolutely glued to the TV set.  You know how the news likes to focus on one story and repeat it over and over?  Well, when you are 85 years old every time they say the same thing you think it is new.  She started ordering me to buy plywood and cover all the windows.  We are in Kentucky mom.

Finally, she ordered us to the basement and go her shotgun out for the looters.  Her shotgun is a single shot 410 with a lock that prevents the hammer from going forward without a key.  When she turned 80, I took her handgun away, gave her the shotgun, and explained it was because she had bad vision now and needed something bigger.  She had a box of ammunition that I have cut the top off, the shot and powder out.  Nothing but primer in a gun that wouldnt fire. 

Now Mom couldnt climb the stairs down to the basement, so she stayed on the main floor with her shotgun waiting for the hurricane and looters to invade Kentucky, sacrificing herself to save the family.  Did I mention the basement is finished and we had popcorn?

Again, many prays to you and your neighbors.  If it gets you down, think of mom at the top of the stair with the shotgun that wont work battling a hurricane in Kentucky.

charlesquik said:
What if there is real looters :)?
I think mom was 85 or so at this point.  Her with a loaded gun would be much more dangerous than the looters.  But remember, we live on top of a ridge in a mountain region of Kentucky. Not really worried about looters after a hurricane.  OK, what if.  Well, we did have a problem with looters way back in the day.  Former owner was an electrician.  Every now and then people would drive to the barn at night looking for copper.  I'd bring a shotgun and fire crackers.  The firecrackers worked just fine.  I do the same for coyote.  Not a major firearms enthusiast, but do believe the right tool for the right job.  Now if I wanted to nail a fence board, I would use a hammer.

AJ Drew said:
I think mom was 85 or so at this point.  Her with a loaded gun would be much more dangerous than the looters.  But remember, we live on top of a ridge in a mountain region of Kentucky. Not really worried about looters after a hurricane.  OK, what if.  Well, we did have a problem with looters way back in the day.  Former owner was an electrician.  Every now and then people would drive to the barn at night looking for copper.  I'd bring a shotgun and fire crackers.  The firecrackers worked just fine.  I do the same for coyote.  Not a major firearms enthusiast, but do believe the right tool for the right job.  Now if I wanted to nail a fence board, I would use a hammer.
haha I know, I what just joking around . Anyways even without ammo a gun can be really persuasive :P

How's this action shot of Matthew......
SkullMatthew_1475668000990_47419697_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Hoping for the best Salty. I know many people want to stay home especially those with pets as not many places will take them. And there's always those that just want to stay in their home. Keep us updated please.

The Hot Pepper said:
Hoping for the best Salty. I know many people want to stay home especially those with pets as not many places will take them. And there's always those that just want to stay in their home. Keep us updated please.
No worries will do y'all  :)

Back