preference

I don't think any one is truly organic.  I think it's practically impossible these days for the most part. 

I try to avoid using pesticides and other chemicals at first , however, I do use a bagged 10-10-10 feed which I suppose isn't organic.  I try to get rid of bugs using homemade sprays, dish soap, vinegar, pepprs and such but it really isn't extremely effective.  Twice this year I used a 3 n 1 insecticide for roses, on roses, and once on tomatoes and a pepper plant for aphids.  Last year I tried a bunch of homemade sprays which didn't work and the fact that my weeds were out of control meant I have quite a bug problem.  I broke out the sevin lol

organic is something trendy folks like to toss around to appear to look cool or something.  I'd bet anything most if not all do some things that would debunk their "oranicness"

I agree with what you are saying about the organic thing I stay "natural" I try to keep things as good as possible but I don't have the money to buy all organic stuff but I buy cheap soil and peat that is organic but I just buy it because its cheap. I don't go organic for ferts or pest control. I try to keep pesticide use limited and try to buy the least harmful one on the market. Organic is just a word they use sprays when growing there stuff or producing there product its just "certified"

Either and both.  I know many local growers who basically grow organically but can't afford or choose not to afford the certifications that go along with being able to put the word "organic" on their label.  These are local small time FM-type growers.

Some local farmers grow without pesticides but cannot get certifications because neighboring fields use pesticides. 

From personal experience, trying to process and market a certified organic is extremely expensive.  It's not like a processing facility can just clean their processing line and then load up all the organic ingredients, run the product and then continue on with other processing.  The whole facility and ALL INGREDIENTS IN THE FACILITY (whether the ingredients are intended for the organic product or for other non-organic products....)  must conform to organic regulations....or something like that....

On the other side.... there are a LOT of "natural" ingredients, compounds or components that qualify as being labeled as "natural" but are not good for people at all.    

Both, I will use an organic soil, fertilizer, etc if I have it on hand, but I definitely won't go out of my way to use organic. I use botanicare nutrients which happen to be organic and I use www.kelp4less.com products which are organic. I don't use them for that reason though, I have always just had good results so I stick with them.

I try to stay organic just hate the whole chemical idea going into my body. If I want chemical grown vegetables I'll go to the store. If you live near a farm where they raise cows chickens rabbits and such organic frets are free or dirt cheap. In my opinion things grown organically taste so much better with alot more flavor.

Browning said:
I don't think any one is truly organic.  I think it's practically impossible these days for the most part. 

The only thing I use in my garden at all is just a fish emulsion or water from my fish tank.    I don't spray for bugs or diseases, and I don't treat my lawn with anything so nothing over-sprays into the garden.  There is so much stuff I don't need to consume trace amounts of, and especially not my family.

I heavily mulch my main garden with leaves, and they break down over the year and contribute to the soil.  The community plot garden might not be organic, as I have no control over what goes in the soil over there, but I don't do any ammendments over there.  I just keep it weeded and watered.

I don't grow organic to try and save the planet and reduce fossil fuel/chemical use, I do it just for the health reasons.  Though I do refuse to buy produce from most other countries.  Bell peppers from Holland?  How unripe did those have to be to cross the Atlantic and make it to my grocery store looking fresh.

I grow organic. Mostly because the university garden I use is organic. I wouldn't spray for bugs, because I don't want to eat chemicals that are harmful. It isn't a good idea to spray for disease, because weak plants don't get weeded out.

Browning said:

I try to avoid using pesticides and other chemicals at first , however, I do use a bagged 10-10-10 feed which I suppose isn't organic.  I try to get rid of bugs using homemade sprays, dish soap, vinegar, pepprs and such but it really isn't extremely effective.  Twice this year I used a 3 n 1 insecticide for roses, on roses, and once on tomatoes and a pepper plant for aphids.  Last year I tried a bunch of homemade sprays which didn't work and the fact that my weeds were out of control meant I have quite a bug problem.  I broke out the sevin lol

organic is something trendy folks like to toss around to appear to look cool or something.  I'd bet anything most if not all do some things that would debunk their "oranicness"

I did none of this, so it's possible. I also disagree that dish soap and water isn't extremely effective. Last year I used it and it worked fine (killed all the aphids). There are tons of predatory bugs in our garden, so aphids and other pests were eaten this year. It may depend on what's in your environment. There are so many spiders in our garden!

I think a good balance of predatory bugs vs bad bugs is the key to great gardens but lady bugs etc don't show up here after spring because heat but aphids do so I need to control them somehow so I use dish soap or pesticide dust

Both
I use organic fertilizers on my veggies. Yes, it's healthier than synthetic, but you will taste the difference also. In my opinion, no pepper, tomato, or squash will ever taste better than one that is grown in bat guano.
Bugs are another thing altogether. Here I Florida, trying to practice organic pest control is next to impossible. I try to keep the chemical bug killers to a minimum, but it is the only way to ensure a crop here.

Back