pics Premature ripening and small chillis - Orange Habanero

I have two habanero plants which started producing a lot of buds, flowers and small chillis recently. However there are a few chillis which have started ripening/ripened even though they’re tiny. Two that I’ve picked have no seeds also!

Given the plants are relatively small, and not in the biggest pot I suspect it was trying to ripen the chillis too quick due to the sheer amount of flowers and buds. I’ve cut off all of the buds that I could find and left the flowers so hopefully that should help it.

Looking online the lack of seeds could also be due to inadequate pollination. Last year when I grew cayennes only, there was plenty of pollen powder when I hand pollinated the flowers, however with my hotter chillis this year (habanero, fatalii, moruga scorpion) there’s none! Note that the scotch bonnets and peri-peri plants do not seem to have this issue.

Does anyone have any advice on;

What else I can do with the habanero to have it grow larger chillis
What size should habaneros be?
Why some of the plants don’t seem to be producing any pollen?

On a side note, even though the habaneros are tiny and have no seeds, they still pack a punch, so fine for hot sauce making but a bummer if I have to buy seeds next year!

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0275.jpeg
    IMG_0275.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0298.jpeg
    IMG_0298.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 27
They should get seeds.
Maybe next fruit flush,
Maybe next year.

I think if you keep them growing bigger you should get bigger fruit.

Give them plenty of soil and nutrients and they will produce better peppers. Also, make sure that the pepper fruits are getting enough light by pruning some of the surrounding leaves. Prune any leaves that are not getting much sunlight, damaged or covering peppers

Last edited:
in mine and many others' experience, the first few fruits to form on a plant are nearly always small and/or malformed. lack of seeds is also not uncommon.

i think you will be fine if you just let it keep growing the way it wants to.

some growers will choose to remove early buds/flowers so the plant uses its energy towards growing more branches and leaves, but it's not necessary and (obviously) delays the initial onset of pods, which can be negative if your growing season is shorter and the future pods (although potentially greater in number and size) don't get time to mature/ripen.

Back