• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Preparing for Next Season

Well it's September which means only 7 months or so before I'll be transplanting to the garden for next year. Hark, only 7 months??

But also it's about getting ready for overwintering and, if my cheap-o means of keeping my favorite plants alive works better than expected, maybe they'll even produce.

It was a hard job but I managed to haul an 8 foot table into an 8 foot wide room and get it upright experiences only minor cuts and scrapes. That was a job in itself. Then I slowly, and I mean slowly, applied some mechanical metal tapeto my 4-foot shoplights. And then popped a grow light and bright florescent light (1 per unit) and tada.

IMG_20100905_212321.jpg

IMG_20100905_204742.jpg

Plans are to add a timer to them, since I did an awful job keeping the timings right last season.

Odds are I'll skip the heating pad, since I'd rather not spend the money to cover the amount of area the table covers. But I may use window plastic to insulate the area the same way I did last season. The results I had germinating this year with that method makes me not want to deter away from it. I might run a house fan to keep air moving, too.

Any other cost efficient ideas to make this little grow area yeild better results? I really wanna keep the plants I'm overwintering stay in good condition, and even maybe produce some flowers. And germinate some seeds come late December/January.

7 months is it? Good lord how time files. It seems like just yesterday I took down the pepper tree, and the pepper garlands and the pepper wreath off the front door... I remember last pepper eve I had too much peppernog... sang the 12 days of pepper on the front lawn, er-um well, I think we all would probably not remember that...

I'm looking for a seed starting mat/or a reptile mat to increase my seed germ rate, and perhaps a larger air pump for my fledgling hydro-hotel.

Added 2 more lights to my setup here.

2 tubes with standard florescents.
4 tubes of plant/aquarium lights 1900 lumens withe blue/red phosphors
2 tubes of sunshine type lights 2250 lumens and labelled with a color temp of 5000k

I'm hoping the combination proves beneficial. It's definitely bright as hell. Also installed a timer so they turn themselves on/off.

IMG_20100909_134104.jpg

Now I just need to find a way to hang them. They're still awfully far from the ceiling to hang them.

Yep had to clean my little oscillating fan of the 8 pounds of dog hair first. Should be ready to roll now. Last thing to do now is figure out the method to hold the lights up now

that's a lot of light to over winter... with all that time and effort you could just put in a HID light and keep growing all winter like I plan on doing.

I haven't really seen any HID setups that offer enough space for the price. Plus I'm extremely interested in how far I can take low wattage lights like these. They run $5 per light so they're really not breaking the bank much. It's a fun little project to do the most with the least.

Figured I'd post my results so far. Hung the lights, but haven't put up the middle peice to keep the chain lights from sagging towards the center. I'll get around to it.

Brought 4 plants in that were having a terrible time with the weather changes.

From left to right. Bhut (some hybrid but just as hot), Jamaican, Orange Hab, and my 2 yr old jalapeno.

IMG_20101006_220826.jpg

The bhut had already lost all his leaves before I brought him in. The Jamaican was slowly giving up. The hab was having serious stress and leaf curling. The jalapeno is such a hearty survivor.

The bhut is growing new leaves like crazy and the jamaican is dropping leaves and starting new ones in place of them. The hab is coming around and my jalapeno is keeping up the 'whatever' attitude.

I like picking peppers in the warmth of home. There's a few around the bases of the pots.

Back