• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Preparing Seeds

JSKaiser

Banned
Okay. I know everybody has their preference for drying seeds, but I wanted to ask what you guys think is the best method. I have a dehydrator, and have had good results with it, but bad results with some varieties. I have tried leaving them on a paper towel on a plate, but the humidity here is close to 80% all the time, and I dont want to expose them to sunlight. When using the dehydrator, should I cut the peppers, or dry them whole? Is there another method Im missing out on? I have also tried folding them into paper towels and putting them in a ziplock bag left open for air circulation, and had a few start to mold/rot over. Any opinions and or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sterling

Hey Sterling...it all depends on if you want to save the seeds or not to grow next season...if you want to save the seeds...clean the peppers and put them on a paper plate and let them air dry at ambient temps...after they have dried, put them in a bag (I use paper lunch bags so I can write on them...another method is to make Ristras out of them....

http://www.ehow.com/how_2387491_make-ristra.html

If you are not saving the seed for next years grow, then you can put them whole in the dehydrator and dry them or cut them in half...cutting them in half cuts your dehydration time by more than 50% IMO...but I like the look of whole dehydrated pods...

I am sure others will chime in...

Seeds I just put in a coffee filter w/ the name of the chile and harvesting date and use a magnet to hang it on the side of the refrigerator. Might not work for you - the only time we get 80% humidity here is in the middle of winter when it's really cold and the air can't hold a lot of water. In you case you could put them in cups on top of the refrigerator (where it's warmer and dryer) and stir the seeds around once a day.

Not sure about the dehydrator - some of them might get to hot for the seeds to survive IIRC.

I just throw my seeds on a cheap paper plate (the uncoated kind) and let them air dry at room temp. They dry well in my humid climate, but they are in an air conditioned room with a ceiling fan for circulation and the air conditioner serves as a dehumidifier.

I slit peppers down one side for the dehydrator, but remove seeds to be saved beforehand.

Thanks. I appreciate it guys. I think the dehydrator was just doing well on the thin pods for seed saving. I think the thick ones had to hold at too high of a temp for too long. After I dry each batch, I do a germination test of 15-20 seeds. I had to throw out all my fresh jalapeno seeds from one batch. Wanted to try another method for the next batch.

I do multiple steps:

- step 1: air dry seeds on cheap paper plate - 7+ days

- Step 2: put seeds in coin envelope inside sealed container with silica powder / packets for 2 weeks.

- Step 3: Done - store in fridge

WOrks like a charm.

Where do you happen to get your silica powder/packets? Would the perforated bags of rice do any good? What kind of coin envelope do you use? I did not know you could refrigerate seeds. I have been keeping all of mine in a storage closet with all my dried peppers with a dehumidifier. I have been thinking of moving to glass storage. Would anybody recommend that? Or should I stick to paper envelopes or ziplock bags?

Ive always had good germination once I get them to dry correctly. Im looking for a good way to store long term as well.

Thanks.

Any particular reason not to expose them to sunlight? I usually put them in a windowsill to dry for 4-6 days then bag 'em...

I will have to look up where exactly it was that I saw it, but I believe I read an article that said it can damage or burn the seeds. They are actually still alive when dry. Just with a super slow metabolic rate until stimulated into growth with water and such. The article did say that it was not an actual scientific fact, but that a trial showed that seeds dried in direct sunlight had a germination rate almost 30% less than other methods. Ill try to find it. Its pretty interesting.

I will have to look up where exactly it was that I saw it, but I believe I read an article that said it can damage or burn the seeds. They are actually still alive when dry. Just with a super slow metabolic rate until stimulated into growth with water and such. The article did say that it was not an actual scientific fact, but that a trial showed that seeds dried in direct sunlight had a germination rate almost 30% less than other methods. Ill try to find it. Its pretty interesting.

wow cool info on the direct sunlight thing.

also, i don't think it has been mentioned, but if you're air-drying, you should make sure your seeds are brittle and snap when you attempt to bend them. that's the benchmark for seed dryness afaik.

Where do you happen to get your silica powder/packets? Would the perforated bags of rice do any good? What kind of coin envelope do you use? I did not know you could refrigerate seeds. I have been keeping all of mine in a storage closet with all my dried peppers with a dehumidifier. I have been thinking of moving to glass storage. Would anybody recommend that? Or should I stick to paper envelopes or ziplock bags?

Ive always had good germination once I get them to dry correctly. Im looking for a good way to store long term as well.

Thanks.

Save silica packs from new shoes that you buy or electronics. Keeping the seeds in the fridge slows down the metabolism further, which, under the right conditions can allow you to save seed for much longer than if you just kept them in a closet. I think pepper seeds generally last 4-5 years, but in the fridge you could extend that up to 10 years or more. The trick is getting the ideal level of humidity--if it is too high the seeds will take in the moisture and rot. I'll look for the source real quick and come back...

Here is what I found so far...

Orthodox seeds can be dried, without damage, to low moisture contents, usually much lower than those they would normally achieve in nature. Over a wide range of storage environments their longevity increases with reductions in both moisture content and temperature, in a quantifiable and predictable way.

Seed Storage Behavior

If you search their database (link) for Genus: Capsicum you'll find that links for Annum and Frutescens, which both show to be Orthodox. There is a lot of techincal data there that is over my head, but the general information is easy to understand.

And from this link Kohala

Refrigerating seed greatly increases shelf life. In an experiment which compared three storage techniques: dry storage over silica gel, vs. refrigeration, vs. freezing—all of the cold seeds were still viable after 10 years.

A simple technique is to store newly saved seed in the refrigerator in a plastic container without a lid to dry. In about a month, put the lid on tightly, take the seeds out of the refrigerator, and let them come to room temperature. Then put them back into the refrigerator in a Ziploc bag. For freezing, use glass jars with rubber gaskets to ensure an airtight seal.

The video on that page is quite informative. Towards the end he talks about methods for long-term seed storage at home.

I've also seen heat-sealed foil packets specially made for seed storage sold online at SSE.

There is no peer reviewed science to back up this claim, but in my experience, seeds that are dried out to the max are harder to germinate compared to "casually" dried seeds. That being said, I can see how taking measures to reduce moisture content in combination with refrigeration will increase shelf life. I like the links to information on drying...the more info the better.

Spoke with an older guy from Guyana over the weekend and he grew up growing this stuff and really had no interest in discussing the topic as a result of HAVING to grow for many years. Finally did get an answer from him on drying seeds as in his mind it was a no brainer and I got laughed at.
Pick the pepper, dry it in the sun, once dried empty out the seeds, store in anything thats waterproof ultimately in a dark spot and thats it. Wait till you have to grow more, use dried seeds.
Got the feeling that in some cases certain topics can be over analyzed. Makes one wonder how the Inca's/Indians dried their corn for sowing ? No fridge, no dehydrater, no silica packs, no coin envelopes, no glass jars, in reality not much at all. They managed to survive for quite a few centuries ?

Yeah, but the incans didn't grow over 100 varieties of corn and switch them up every year, so I don't think long term storage of the seeds was on their minds either. I don't plan on growing every variety I have every year. I will grow my favs every year, and try new ones as well. It may be 5 years or so before I grow some varieties again, so I need to take extra precautions to try and guarantee viability when I want to try them again or pass them to others to try. I don't refrigerate them, but do keep them in a cool, dark place.

jacob

Back