• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pressure canning

Has anyone had any luck pressure canning their sauces/ mashes? I was thinking about trying this because I don't have a PH meter and I want to make sure it is shelf stable and safe. Can anyone recommend a good pressure canner that wont break the bank?

Go For It!  Pressure canning seems scary, but it really is simpler than most people think.  Follow directions and your sauce will be good to go.

I believe these sauce bottles with metal caps are pressure can-able, but check with Specialty Bottle (or one of the other bottle suppliers) to make sure.  There are also other styles of jars/bottles that I know are pressure can-able.  Just in case you want something other than the standard mason jar~  ;)

Have Fun!

SL

Please be very careful when choosing a pressure canner. Pressure cookers are NOT always pressure canners. Many of the newer models of cookers marketed for home use cannot reach 15psi, the required pressure to reach the temperatures needed to destroy botulism. Consider contacting your county or state extension office, who can point you in the correct direction.

Back