• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Pretty much my only enemy in the garden......aphids, and I brought them inside on my OW's

Wish I wouldn't have brought any plants in to overwinter now.  They've been in for a couple of months now and I have not seen one aphids.  Just checked some of my seedlings and boom, there they are.  I don't really fight many bugs in the garden but we get aphids badly here on our tomato plants.  I'll be honest I usually don't care too much but now I have peppers indoors and I want them gone. 

I've read many threads and it seems most things that people suggest doesn't really work for others.  Therefor I'm not really sure which direction or which product to get.

Look at these things, hanging out having a blast, squatting on my pepper plants.  LOL
qUxhZeo.jpg

I killed all of those ones right after taking the picture by squishing them.  Any caution to squishing these things on the leaves I should know?

Squishing them is probably the most satisfying way of controlling them, but it is difficult to get them all.

I always recommend AzaMax because it is very effective against aphids and mites, which are always going to be a problem with overwintered plants. It is expensive because it is organic, but it is much more effective then neem oil.

Before spraying with anything, take your OWs outside (assuming it isn't below freezing) and spray the aphids off with your hose, this will remove most of them. Then spray your plants, wait a few days, spray them again, wait a week and then take them out and spray them off again. If aphids come back, repeat the process.

I haven't found anything that is 100% effective, but spraying the majority of them off with water is the key to control, IMO.

I brought in some plants this year to let the pods finish and to over winter, got aphids after 3 weeks and tossed the plants. I didn't want aphids in my grow room.  I dealt with them all last winter.  After while i think they became immune to azamax.

I know people are reluctant to have lady bugs inside but it you get a net it won't be too bad and I will guarantee they will kill your aphids. If you've got a cat, then all your problems are solved

impending_bending said:
I know people are reluctant to have lady bugs inside but it you get a net it won't be too bad and I will guarantee they will kill your aphids. If you've got a cat, then all your problems are solved
They work to an extent.  They also like to fly into the light bulbs on grow lights and fry them selves to the bulb.

jedisushi06 said:
They work to an extent.  They also like to fly into the light bulbs on grow lights and fry them selves to the bulb.
haha yeah they aint too bright... but every time I have used them they have completely wiped out the aphids before all committing suicide or running away

I used pyrethrum EC5 spray to clear out an infestation of aphids last year after trying loads of other sprays and methods and it was the only thing that worked. It's quite expensive but the concentrated mix I have has lasted me more than a season.

Its so good I keep a bottle of mixed solution and whenever I see any of the little lighters I give them a blast and it clears them (including indoors) and the bonus is it doesn't smell like neem oil.

Hope this helps

I pulse banana peels in my food processer and put around in the top of the soil. I also spray the underside of the leaves with a garlic, hot pepper, neem oil, soap spray and they leave ASAP!! Aphids hate garlic and bananas and it doesnt hurt the plant.

Gah! Freaking aphids are like the plague on my OWs right now. Two tomatillos and a jalapeño already died. Using a sulphur pyrethrins mix spray. Gets them under control quick but I wasn't able to keep up with it for about a week and a half over turkey day break. If they get immune to it I'm bringing in the ladybug army and netting.

Back