business Price for super hots

Fireeater86 said:
Thanks! They seem to only refer to price per pod not per pound.

If you look at the average of what a pod weighs you can begin to extrapolate the price per pound.  It's a niche market product and not many people have them.  Fewer people have them fresh at any given time. 

If your bhuts (or whatever super hot you have on hand) weighs an average of 20 grams per pepper, and there are (roughly) 450 grams per pound then there would be roughly 22 bhuts per pound.  If said peppers are going for $3-5 each you won't get $60-80 bucks a pound, but I'd say something like $15 - 20 per half pound would be fair.  The restaurant isn't going to use that many per week, so pick and drop them 4 or 8oz at a time and bill them monthly at the agreed upon price.  In farmers markets here I can get them for $30/lb if I order ahead, and then they are delivered the next week usually.  Pounds of exclusively one pepper cost more.

Supplying one place is nice as you're able to share and get paid for it.  I'd err on the side of charge the least you can in order to spread your name and product.  In fact if they were going to do some kind of featured 'super hot wing' challenge stuff I might even forego most of the profit and just charge cost + travel/materials, depending on how big/popular the place was. 

Unless this is a contract grow - like they need you to deliver x pounds a week for x months?

SmokenFire said:

If you look at the average of what a pod weighs you can begin to extrapolate the price per pound.  It's a niche market product and not many people have them.  Fewer people have them fresh at any given time. 

If your bhuts (or whatever super hot you have on hand) weighs an average of 20 grams per pepper, and there are (roughly) 450 grams per pound then there would be roughly 22 bhuts per pound.  If said peppers are going for $3-5 each you won't get $60-80 bucks a pound, but I'd say something like $15 - 20 per half pound would be fair.  The restaurant isn't going to use that many per week, so pick and drop them 4 or 8oz at a time and bill them monthly at the agreed upon price.  In farmers markets here I can get them for $30/lb if I order ahead, and then they are delivered the next week usually.  Pounds of exclusively one pepper cost more.

Supplying one place is nice as you're able to share and get paid for it.  I'd err on the side of charge the least you can in order to spread your name and product.  In fact if they were going to do some kind of featured 'super hot wing' challenge stuff I might even forego most of the profit and just charge cost + travel/materials, depending on how big/popular the place was. 

Unless this is a contract grow - like they need you to deliver x pounds a week for x months?
They freeze them and make sauces with them. I was thinking $20 a lb but I dont want to insult them or get ripped off. Its a variety of peppers including reapers, Brainstrains, ghosts, chocolates, nagas, fatalis ect. They asked me how much I can get them and the price per pound. Is $20 a pound fair or to cheap/ expensive?

$20 a pound is a great price, I've been shipping SFRB's and they have about 9oz of peppers, I sell for $20 but that includes shipping so it comes out to be about $25 a pound without shipping.

I saw in the locked thread that it's for a restaurant. I applaud that! I wish more restaurants would venture beyond your typical grocery store variety peppers.

What style of restaurant is it? I don't live near Ohio, but I definitely hope your place either takes off or grows from this. Spiciness is on the rise, but could definitely use more expansion!

Back