price per pound?

Some superhots $10-$15/lb.  depends on quantity, quality, variety....
Recent quote from a large scale grower for 20+ pound order was $13, plus shipping.  

Local wholesale prices for locally grown jalapenos in season (for me purchasing from a local farmer to the tune of ~200 pounds) is $1.50.  They sell at the FM for $2/lb.  I could beat 'em up a bit on the price, but I'd rather have some really kick butt peppers to work with and keep the money local.  The same farmers bring me habaneros (generic oranges and some reds) for $6.00/lb.  They usually bring about 20 pounds of habs.  

These same farmers are indirectly responsible for some new pepper ventures.  End of the season, they asked if I wanted a "few" more pepeprs.  I said sure, maybe 10-20 pounds, bring them by next week after market.  They showed up with about 80 pounds of assorted chiles.   :shocked:   What the??What the heck am I gonna do with all that?!?!???

oKAY!!!  Dried peppers in the ghetto dehydrator, cold packed pickled peppers, candied peppers.......

uh oh...gonna get in trouble for hijacking.....again.....

BACK on topic!  SUPERHOTS...

I think what folk slam into is the cost of shipping.  I think the small flat rate box is now $7.25.  Wife said that the other day, not sure if she rounded.  I mainly just grow.  She does the shipping part.  We try to blend the cost of shipping into the price of set volumes.  When all is said and done at the end of the year, what we spend on shipping is about half of our total sales. 

You start to see the $10.00 to $15,00 per prices Salsa Lady mentioned when you start to pay shipping separately.  So while he standard prices on the SFRB might seem higher, generally growers are figuring in that $7.25 for shipping.  I only know one grower that sells SFRB and charges shipping on top of it.  Kind  of funny thing.  He used to have it worked in, then put everything on sale but added shipping.  Just a different way to present things I think.

From the customer side of the house, Aj your prices are too low for a product of that caliber. Sure we go to the lowest prices, but damn...you cant eat the shipping all the time. 

I am not sure if ups/fedex is cheaper but I am done with the usps folks, not going to send their kids to college. Tried to send another simple #000 to England and the package was sent back for not enough postage.

Carolina reapers from a large local producer cost 25 euro per kg. That would be roughly 13 USD per pound.

Same supplier also has Trinidad scorpions for 17,50 per kg. Which would be around 9 USD per pound.

rickster said:
thanks for the input everyone. im not looking to buy, looking to sell. have way more peppers this year than i can keep up with.

Way cool, then I can give a much better answer without sounding like I am advertising my own stuff.  We went from $17.00 to $18.00 for no labels and nobody seems to mind.  I sell everything I list before the day is out, but it is early and things aren't slamming in.  I am probably going to raise the labeled peppers from $20.00 to $22,00.  it is not the cost of the labels, it is the time it takes.  I am going to wait for a day that we have lots to pack and time how long labeling takes.  I do not think people will think it is too much but we will see.

If you are selling on Ebay, right now is a good time because not too many people have them ripe.  Am seeing mixed boxes with a few of the popular names go for $25.00 and more, but they are hardly ever listed.  When season is swinging, they went for like $15.00 last year.

We are now completely focused on peppers.  But just a few years ago, they were a side line.  I know for a fact you can make a good side income this way.  Much luck to you!

DontPanic said:
What's the approximate ballpark weight of peppers in a SFRB?

What Sickmen said about weight seems about right.  But if you are going to sell, you'll find out that people will ask how many peppers is that.  Depending on size, 20 - 30 full size pods fit in the sfrb.  If you grow a bunch of little ones to use as packing peanuts between the bigger ones, people will love it.

Best advice is be fair and honest.  Your customers will wind up being patrons.  Last time I was in the hospital for an extended stay, I had get well soon cards from patrons and someone sent me a pizza.  Years ago worked as a mechanic.  Completely different relationship, everyone thought I wanted to rip them off.  Much different selling rare produce.  More like selling hand crafts.  More personal.  You will love it.

Back