Pricing for plants

SadisticPeppers

Business Member
I didn't know where else to put this, so if it needs to be moved to another forum, by all means :)

Anyways, I figured I'd get started on getting some plants started for the Farmer's Market in my area, since I want to be able to sell plants in addition to peppers, etc. Seeing as my Ghost Peppers are as ready as they'll ever be to start producing (stopped bothering to count the number of flowers after the second of 15 plants), I'd start a new batch of Ghost Pepper Plants. That being said, I'm curious as to the pricing of small starter plants (~3-4 inches tall, and with their 2nd or 3rd set of true leaves). I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 7-10 dollars per plant. Is that too low, too high, just right? Suggestions are most definitely appreciated, since I'd most definitely like to have a little on the side as a venture, and not have this turn into a monetary black hole. I'm also hopeful to get more plants of other varieties started soon, but I figured I'd start with some good ol' Ghosts first since I have a good number of plants already going of them, unlike what I thought were my Trinidad's which turned out not to be...

I would say you could get away with that being it is a Ghost. I get annums like Cayenne, Red cherry, for 3 bucks a plant. I just got a bunch of jalapeno plants at 40cents a plant. If I could find a healthy ghost I might pay 7.

First figure up all of your costs to produce the plant. Growing media, pots, electric, your time, water, seed, fertilizer, farmers market rent or fees, etc and then divide that into the number of sellable plants and that will give you the cost per plant.
If you double that amount, then you know you'll make a profit.

Do not be concerned with how much the neighbor can sell plants for becaise they may have lower or higher overhead. But, if there is a big difference in price and no difference in plants or anything else, one of you wont be selling many plants.

I bought mine for $5 from the nursery at a local college. I don't think I'd pay much more than that for a small plant. You could start them in that $5-$7 range and if they don't sell, repot them when ready and adjust the price accordingly.

I guess the real question is, who is your market audience?

What is their financial background? Are ghost peppers something they want and are looking for, and do they have a preconceived notion of the value of a ghost pepper? Or is this an impulse buy for them, and if so what are the financial constraints of impulse buys for the market?

Also, what are the prices of competing products or comparable products in the farmers market? If some guy next to you is selling heirloom tomato seedlings for $2, does that hurt your sales if you price your peppers at $7? Does it establish your peppers as a "luxury" item worthy of the extra cost?

Anyhow man good luck with your operation!

Thanks for the info everyone :)

I think $5 is reasonable for rare varieties, you may get more if you jazz it up and add some info about SHU and previous Guinness record etc.
The term ghost pepper may be easier for selling purposes but some people may actually want to know the proper name of the pepper. Are they bhut jolokias, naga morich or some other type?

That's the idea, since I want to emphasize that Ghost, Trinidad Scorps, and other superhots tend to be harder to find, especially where I live. In fact, there's only a handful of people in my region that even sell the seeds, let alone the plants :)

But yeah, I decided to put those Jiffy pucks I got a while back that were too big for the tray I had to good use. Last night, after the usual 24-hour soak, I put the first batch of 50 in a makeshift tray, and I'll be putting the next batch of 50 in tonight. Whatever develops, I'll transfer to small Azalea pots and sell 'em for around $7.50 a plant.

Just starting seeds now? I don't know your climate but for me it usually takes 4-5 months to get good fruit set from a C. chinense. Do you have any experience growing C. chinense peppers in the past?

Actually, I was going to sell the plants while still young, before they had their fruit set going. The ones I've already established have their flowers, so I'll be able to seel fruit, seeds, etc., in addition to young plants.

But if your customers won't see fruit until October, will they be satisfied? Just asking because here our growing season ends in October, and people only want to buy plants from may to mid June.

Being that I live in South Florida, our growing season is effectively year-round :)

I also sell chile seedlings for farmer's markets; I'm not quite sure about what price would be optimal for your market, but I suggest you also look into selling varieties that can be ornamental as well as good eating. Fish is a good variety because it has attractive, variegated leaves - plus a selling point is that the chiles are moderate heat (hey, this would be great in salsa) and they are an heirloom variety with an interesting background story. I find many customers are willing to pay amounts equal to the rare superhots if you just sell them right.

Good tip, thanks! :)

I am glad to report that I already saw several shoots from the seeds I've planted have shown up already. Here's to many more :)

I experimented with the price this last year. Customers were willing to pay 5,6,8 and 10 because that is what I charged them. I met a little resistance with 10/plant but they still payed. I will keep the price somewhere in that range, just all depends on pot size, variety and if they were started with my seeds or from another source.

Back