misc Prickley pear Mead and Wine

I've been making the mead with great success ,but , last year I tried to make Prickley Pear Wine . My only mistake was that I didn't pasturize the juice B4 I started it and after all my work the juice in the carboy smelled like the inside of a septic tank ( O Well) won't do that again Here in AZ. The Monsoons have started and that should make the Prickley Pears big and Juicy ; next week will be a good time to start harvesting them ,ne good thing is they are FREE. I usualy make about 6 Gals. every year . Need any recipes if you can get Prickley Pears let me know and I can help you. Jerry T.

I have never had Prickleys as wine but love them pickled! If the mead turns don't throw it away, Add over ripe bananas and about 1 # per 5 gal. of Black Hen chicken compost - let it cook for a couple of weeks. (Away from the house-I'll stink like hell) Your peppers will love it - but add it only after watering.

So i have a grocery store near my house that sells red prickley pears and right next to it is "green cactus fruit". are they the same just one is more ripe? Also they sell them for about 10cents a piece so i am thinking i will make my next hooch adventure with them. so which ones do i use and how do i do it? ive done the fruit juice and wine yeast thing befor so i hae an idea.

Back