• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Prime Packer Brisket, Extreme Hot-n-Fast

Found a decent 22.3lb prime packer brisket at Costco.
Y'all know where I'm going with this don't ya, yep, another Extreme Hot-n-Fast brisket cook.
2.5 hours of mixed Hickory and Mesquite smoke at 275°-300°.
Then kicking the temp up to 375°-400°.
Once the IT hits 165° it'll be wrapped in paper, back into the 375°-400° and finished till probe tender. 

w3TEJWy.jpg

22.3lb trimmed down to about 18lbs +/-.
Rubbed down with coarse Kosher salt, fresh cracked mixed peppercorns, granulated garlic and onion.
Wrapped in plastic wrap and set overnight to brine a bit.

Trimmed and Rubbed

16mYPJR.jpg

cJS7KBt.jpg

I2nV4vM.jpg

Into the Smoker

5HNzvpl.jpg

Looking Good

m5TIIuh.jpg

Stay Tuned Brisket Fans !

Mr.joe said:
It looks great. Why hot and fast vs low and slow? Is it just cuz you don't wanna stoke the fire all night? Is the final result better?
Less time and effort, less wood/fuel.
Cause I can cook a large Packer Brisket in only seven (7) hours versus 20-24 hours or more, and the results are just as good.
Look at the video of this cook or others of mine, the method is proven and the results are undeniable.
I'll never cook another large brisket Low-n-Slow, just no reason to.

Hot-n-Fast 275°-300°, best for packer briskets under 15lbs.
Extreme Hot-n-Fast 375°-400°, best used for packer briskets over 15lbs, smaller briskets may not handle the high temps as well.

The Extreme method alone can have a large brisket ready in as little as 4-5 hours, but may not have a lot of smoke flavor.
I therefore utilize a combination of the two methods and get plenty of smoke flavor.
15-20lb briskets are done in 7-8 hours on average.

Back