PRIME RIB, the Red Meat-ing place

I could use Google but I don wanna.
I bought a 4.7 lb. Prime Rib for tomorrow nights dinner. Anyone have any far-out recipe ideas?
I know I don't want a Salt Crust, It's got a great fat-cap, but I just don't want the salt crust.
Wrap in Bacon?
Marinate?
Grill?
I have powders, fresh (frozen) peppers, and sauces of all kinds, so gimme your best ideas.

Appreciate!

My grandfather used to stab it with a knife all over and push garlic cloves into the "wounds". I would think it would work well with some holes filled with a piece of peppers.

I wish I could give you a far-out recipe, but some things are just better when simple. Prime rib is one of those things IMO. Just don't overcook it!!

p.s. I'm jealous!

Oh, and bacon makes everything better!

What I do with my prime is cut small slits all over it about half inch deep and stuff them with Rosemary, marjaram (sp), garlic, edit: bay leaves. I then rub the top with the same plus cracked pepper and my personal seasoning salt. Then I either slow roast in oven at 225 degrees or (if not to big) in rotisserie. Very simple yet very good.

P.S. don't forget the horseradish with some PE :twisted:
Aaron

Thanks peeps, so far. I'm intrigued with the rotisserie (yeah buddy, indirect on the grill!!!!) idea... will the fat just run off? (It's the best part you know).

edit: If I grill it do I turn it? "Indirect" suggest NO. I'm guessing 3-4 hrs.?

about 12 minutes per pound. put a drip pan under it and periodically add a little water if you want to save the drippings. bones down. turn it 180 degrees about 1/2 way into the grill. make sure to use a meat thermometer. i have a 7.5 pound bone-in that i will be grilling tomorrow. you won't be disappointed.

Espresso, lemongrass, sea salt, garlic, ancho, black peppper.

Espresso, lemongrass, sea salt, garlic, ancho, black peppper.
Never thought of espresso, but great idea. Works for tenderizing meats plus flavor. Cocoa also helps for tenderizing yet not something I would use for this dish.

Metal pan underneath with a little water like mentioned works best. Homemade aujis serious WIN!

You could also hard sear it on the outside and then oven it at 200 degrees or so.
Aaron

P.S. oh yeah if you have a decent fat cap then you shouldn't need to worry about it. Both rotisserie and a hard sear will caramelize the fat thus making it awesome eats!

about 12 minutes per pound. put a drip pan under it and periodically add a little water if you want to save the drippings. bones down. turn it 180 degrees about 1/2 way into the grill. make sure to use a meat thermometer. i have a 7.5 pound bone-in that i will be grilling tomorrow. you won't be disappointed.

Thanks man. Great help. I have to admit, I've always scoffed at anything called "Prime Rib" that was smaller than 7-8 lbs. Here I am with a snack of one at 4.7. I'm diggen these ideas.
Yours too D. that actually sounds awesome, maybe a little garlic-in-the-stab-wounds too? would that be good w. your ingredients?

If I use a rotisserie, will the fat disappear? (I like crusty fat)

edit: OH Crap Aaron! Now I'm getting hungry.... Thanks bro!

No problem bro. You really can't go wrong with prime rib unless you over cook it. Just post some pics for me. Haven't had the pleasure to have any for a while so I figure I'll enjoy it with my eyes and your pictures :lol:
Aaron

I'll post pics for sure... prolly over at the DC. Or maybe here? why not? no,... The DC (my avatar's sideways.... :beer: )

Scovie, when I first saw the post, I was "Seriously? You want to Mess with a traditional Prime Rib?" But then, Hey...WHY NOT!!!

The Garlic-in-the-cuts works good and you can add some chile at the same time. I just can't get past the basic salt-pepper-garlic rub. Maybe to a salt, pepper, garlic, and herbs of choice with a little olive oil, hot sear at 425-450F for ~20min for the small roast, then low~and~slow 225F for the (recommended amount of time).

We're doing PR also, with 2 roasts for the number of people who'll be there. I think I'll do one regular and one HOT. Oven roasted herb-seasoned spuds......oh yea...it's coming together~~~

I don't mess with the prime rib either. I make a rub of fresh herbs, chopped garlic, sea salt, and cracked black. Then slow roast until done MR.

I don't mess with the prime rib either. I make a rub of fresh herbs, chopped garlic, sea salt, and cracked black. Then slow roast until done MR.

But what if Geeme stops by? :rofl:

Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions. I don't know how I'm doing it yet but I will definitely post pics.
Have a Merry Christmas, wherever you are, and whatever you're doing.
Eat, Drink, and be Merry!

I'm going to make what I suggested for Scovie. Can I post here? or in DC? I'm sure it would be applicalbe in either>>>> Happy Holidays guys and gals!

Back