• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pro-Mix BX now without Mycorrhizae

Just got back from my friendly garden center and alas, Premier Tech (producers of my go to potting mix Pro-Mix BX) have decided to save a few cents and mess with the product formula by eliminating the inclusion of Mycorrhizae.

Mycorrhizae was the reason I and I'm sure many many others purchased it to begin with. I snagged a couple of bails of the old formula before they sold out. I won't be buying any of the new BX even though it now comes in new nifty black plastic wrap with silver grey print.

Hopefully they suffer a "New Coke" moment and revert back to the original formula that made it popular.

I think that's just a different formulation. What you'd actually be looking for is the white bag with orange designs and the word mycorrhizae on it. It's actually just part of a different line of products I think ("performance" vs. "excellence").

Perhaps your source for it has just switched to buying the different formula and didn't know the difference. Good that you got some with it though! I love that stuff!

They sold the BX without Mycorrhizae for many many years, so you can't really call it the "new coke"
I wouldn't buy it just for the Mycorrhizae, its easy enough to just add your own

Hopefully they suffer a "New Coke" moment and revert back to the original formula that made it popular.

Maybe they understand you do NOT need them at all...... :rofl:

I would rather not use Mycorrhizae at all and here is why, they convert organic material into usable food for the plant, something that happens in nature not really fit for a pot, professionals can agree. Anyway,not only do they break down organic material but the structure of the grow medium making it fine partical and muck. They speed up the break down of your medium, not good. A reason I really can NOT find too many successful citrus growers that use organics in container grown citrus. These trees stay in the same pot for years making no reason to use an incoculent that is going to destroy the structure of the medium. Say you have pine fines at 1/4 in size, they will destroy it and make it fine partical in half the time if you had a dead sterile grow medium using synthetics.... I have seen someone grow a tree in a pot filled with native garden soil and the plant is doing fine just not growing!!!!Its doing fine, just not growing hahaha :surprised:

I lived in Florida for 35 years, never seen container citrus production. Seen young plant in contaners but never as a permanent home.

Where do they utilize container citrus production?

I just bought a bale of promix HP in the new package (white&orange, new logo)with the myco added, it seems weird they would take it out of the bx and not the HP.

rabid48, yep, I know the packaging for BX... white with orange. The new shipment of BX locally was the new BX (black and silver) without Mycorrhizae. I was told they changed the formula.

Potawie, I wasn't aware BX was sold without Mycorrhizae in the past. I've only been using it for five years. Mycorrhizae may be easy to add but I liked not having to worry about it. After a few years of mixing my own blend for 30 - 40 pots I liked the simplicity of buying an all-in-one mix.

Capsicum, I'm not a "professional" but I've never experienced the muck you describe. I have subjectively noticed more robust roots and plants compared to peppers grown in other mixes without Mycorrhizae.

fireface, interesting. I'll have to check out the HP option.

Thanks for the responses.

I lived in Florida for 35 years, never seen container citrus production. Seen young plant in contaners but never as a permanent home.

Where do they utilize container citrus production?

It is a huge hobby. Just like orchid growing the structure of the medium is important.

Capsicum, I'm not a "professional" but I've never experienced the muck you describe. I have subjectively noticed more robust roots and plants compared to peppers grown in other mixes without Mycorrhizae.

i meant by "professional" was those who partake in growing a wide range of plants in containers, cacti, cirtus, hardwood trees, ect. When you successfully grow those I listed you want a long lasting media that has NO Mycorrhizae. I hope that helped.

Maybe they understand you do NOT need them at all...... :rofl:

I would rather not use Mycorrhizae at all and here is why, they convert organic material into usable food for the plant, something that happens in nature not really fit for a pot, professionals can agree. Anyway,not only do they break down organic material but the structure of the grow medium making it fine partical and muck. They speed up the break down of your medium, not good. A reason I really can NOT find too many successful citrus growers that use organics in container grown citrus. These trees stay in the same pot for years making no reason to use an incoculent that is going to destroy the structure of the medium. Say you have pine fines at 1/4 in size, they will destroy it and make it fine partical in half the time if you had a dead sterile grow medium using synthetics.... I have seen someone grow a tree in a pot filled with native garden soil and the plant is doing fine just not growing!!!!Its doing fine, just not growing hahaha :surprised:

I agree totally. The little happy fungi take a while to colonize things and do reduce particle size throughout the mix. What I've noticed is that people will buy Myco-innoculated grow media and then proceed to bombard it with petrochem fertilizer (not that I'm opposed to 'em for some situations), thereby killing off our mycorrhizal friends.

Never used it on crops before but have on my lawn with amazing results. My old neighbor used to take "very good care" of his lawn by dumping tons of chemicals on it (no grabs, no dandelions, lots of fertilizer) and when we had good amounts of rain it almost looked fake. Then we had a long period without rain about 20 months after I applied the fungi - his lawn looked completely burned out, like a heroin addict who ran out of heroin, and mine looked the exact same as it always did, nice and green and 'normal'.

I really dont't care about my lawn and all I ever do is mow it. I just didn't want to have to apply a bunch of crap to it since if I'm going to spend time with plants it's going to be with peppers and other things I can actually eat. Nonetheless, the myco treatment really worked well for this.

Back