• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried problem with dried peppers

I store my dried peppers in glass bottles and recently when i reached for my peppers i saw fuzz and a few insects inside the bottle. I live in Montreal and this winter the heaters are always on. Maybe too humid or should i store them some other way.
I got the peppers ~6months ago.

although i am no expert on peppers last fall i took my g/f to an apple orchard that had habaneros jalapenos and some other peppers paid 1.09 a pound. came home dehydrated them then put them in zip lock bags took all the air out of them then placed the bags in a tupperware container then stored them in basement fruit cellar (its cool dry and no light) they are still good you might be gettin to much moisture and light
but i could be wrong i am no expert
Tom

G'day - welcome to THP

Sounds like they weren't fully dried & how do you think the insects got in? Or were they in the pod already?

*Thread Moved*

I agree with Bent and Potawie they must not been dry all the way .Been drying for year and all ways store in air tight bags till I need to grind ,never had that problem and the bugs like Bent said had to be in the pods or on them.
Dan

LET IT BURN

Were the bugs alive or dead?
When I dry my pods now, I cut each open or in half to see if there are any nasties. There is always one or two varieties for me every year that have high percentage with moldy innards or bug yuk.

The bugs inside the peppers could have been pepper maggots that matured to adults...the drying process may not have been hot enough to kill the buggers to begin with.

type of pepper

POTAWIE said:
Were the bugs alive or dead?
When I dry my pods now, I cut each open or in half to see if there are any nasties. There is always one or two varieties for me every year that have high percentage with moldy innards or bug yuk.

The peppers i have are aji amarillo and ancho but came from the same company. I Have other peppers from india that are still fine. Maybe as you all said could be a bad batch.
thanks

Last year I had a problem where moths got into some of my stock and just decimated it. Have no clue how they got in there in the first place....bastard at my peppers!

welcome to THP Nilu.
If you're looking for fresh pods in mtl go to Fruits Rocky Montana.

It's a small store with lots of cool stuff. And some nice Congo peppers.
Then you can make your own dry powder.

Fruits Rocky Montana
5704 Rue Sherbrooke O
Montreal QC, H4A 1W8

Back