• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Problem with my Ají (leaves wilting at the edges)

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my ají - as you can see from the photos (check the imgur link), some of the leaves are wilting at the edges - where they wilt, they become a bit translucent, part of them just dry out. It hasn't occurred on all of the leaves, and for the most part I think that the plant looks fine (as far as I can tell, as I've never grown baccatums before only annuums and chinense). A few weeks ago I did spot something white crawling on it (maybe no more than 2mm large), which I killed and have since then sprayed it down with your typical soapy water solution using 'soap' that is fine for this kind of use on a weekly basis, but I can't spot anything moving around on the leaves or on the stem - but sometimes some leaves are a bit sticky. 

So my question is, does anyone know what the issue can be? Any help would be much appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/Fyq1Jon

That looks to me like textbook heat/sun related damage, with the leaves suffering at the margins farthest from the veins, which are the source of moisture.  This would be common if you've recently started taking the plants outside for sun or the sun and temps have recently become more intense.  Baccatum can be more sensitive to being moved outside and often require more care in progressively hardening-off.  The solution is to have them in shade during stronger sun and build them up to it over time.

Peppergator said:
How often are you watering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I water them depending on how dry/moist the soil is, which depends entirely on the weather outside, the most I've watered them is twice per week. 

CaneDog said:
That looks to me like textbook heat/sun related damage, with the leaves suffering at the margins farthest from the veins, which are the source of moisture.  This would be common if you've recently started taking the plants outside for sun or the sun and temps have recently become more intense.  Baccatum can be more sensitive to being moved outside and often require more care in progressively hardening-off.  The solution is to have them in shade during stronger sun and build them up to it over time.

Maybe it is heat then, as they're standing in a window with quite a lot of sun during the day time (well... if it's sunny that is) and the temperatures are usually (measured inside) in their low to mid 30s Celsius (but exposed to direct sun). They haven't been outside, but I'll move them to a sunny but cooler spot then and see if that helps. Heat sounds better than disease at least. 

...and thanks for the reply :)

sots said:
I'm having a bit of a problem with my ají - as you can see from the photos (check the imgur link), 

I don't think that small amount of curling problematic but I'd wait for others to chime in (As I was completing this post I see others have.). As far as posting pix that are on IMGUR  simply right click on them - left click on Copy image - get the cursor flashing in the post where you want the pic to appear - hit Ctrl + v and it appears as below...

U72iVf1.jpg

C2egcLu.jpg

Below are screen shots that may be helpful.

EUx7Vqt.jpg

Egav7YB.jpg

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
I don't think that small amount of curling problematic but I'd wait for others to chime in (As I was completing this post I see others have.). As far as posting pix that are on IMGUR  simply right click on them - left click on Copy image - get the cursor flashing in the post where you want the pic to appear - hit Ctrl + v and it appears as below...

I totally agree with you as to curling or wilting, if that's all it is, but what I'm seeing (most evident in the first picture by OP's pointer) is that the leaves are going thinner and more translucent at the margins, evidence of necrosis.  Were it just wilting or curling, NP, but I suspect these leaves are actually dying and drying out at the margins, not recovering, so I'd lean toward a slightly more progressive hardening-off.

Back