seeds Problems germinating king nagas and sunrise scorpions

I have probably germinated about 15 varieties of super hot in preparation for a plant out in 10 weeks.  I am germination on damp tissue on my hot water cylinder ~25c.  Somethings are germinating as soon as 5 days with most probably taking 10-14days.  The sunrise and king naga just won't do anything and it has been 4 weeks.  At the same time I planted the king naga I planted black naga which had 100% germination in the 3rd week.  Has anyone else experience difficulties germinating these?  Is it likely one naga would germinate that differently to any other?  Are my seeds no good?  It is funny as this is my first issue germinating and I was ok when everything was going well but with no experience I have no clue when things get a little challenging.

The only THP member I know of who successfully grew the King Nagas last year was PeriPeri in South Africa. You might send him a pm and ask him for tips if you don't see your questions answered in his glog. Cheers!

Hey Robisburning, those Naga King Jolokias are excellent growers in my experience and rapid growers at that. It sounds like your method is 100%... sounds to me there may be an issue with the seeds? I have also found that sometimes for no apparent reason seeds just don't germinate in the paper towel. It may be wothwhile planting these seeds anyway... I have found in previous cases that seeds that would not germinate in the paper towel, suddenly germinated in the soil. Rather than throwing the seeds out... it may be worth a try!

Robisburning said:
I have probably germinated about 15 varieties of super hot in preparation for a plant out in 10 weeks.  I am germination on damp tissue on my hot water cylinder ~25c.  Somethings are germinating as soon as 5 days with most probably taking 10-14days.  The sunrise and king naga just won't do anything and it has been 4 weeks.  At the same time I planted the king naga I planted black naga which had 100% germination in the 3rd week.  Has anyone else experience difficulties germinating these?  Is it likely one naga would germinate that differently to any other?  Are my seeds no good?  It is funny as this is my first issue germinating and I was ok when everything was going well but with no experience I have no clue when things get a little challenging.

PeriPeri said:
Hey Robisburning, those Naga King Jolokias are excellent growers in my experience and rapid growers at that. It sounds like your method is 100%... sounds to me there may be an issue with the seeds? I have also found that sometimes for no apparent reason seeds just don't germinate in the paper towel. It may be wothwhile planting these seeds anyway... I have found in previous cases that seeds that would not germinate in the paper towel, suddenly germinated in the soil. Rather than throwing the seeds out... it may be worth a try!

I can follow with what PP says, some seeds probably need a more acidic medium to get them to germ (which naturally occurs in soil).
U could give it a try sticking them in soil. At the moment I'm also having the non germing prob with some varieties of paprika's and the Colora pepperseeds,
so I will be trying this too.

Greetz,

Oli

Just when I was about to re-use my dirt from seed pots I thought would not sprout after a month, I went outside and they are all popping up now.

Some established seedlings in other pots are still having a few of them popping up too, two or three months later.

Don't give up too soon, and keep them watered but not soggy, you may be surprised.

Ditto that, I often find seedlings popping up in abandoned seedling trays long after their siblings are in the soil already... nature sometimes has a mind of its own and the seeds just need that right mix of elements to germinate.

Interesting, I only had 5 seeds from the vendor of both the sunrise scorpion and the  king naga. I did manage to buy some further seeds of each from an alternate vendor which I will try germinating on both tissue and in soil.  I will leave them until I have enough germinated .  Thank you all for the advice.

Back