• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Problems with leaves - reapers, scorpions, ghosts

This is my first "larger" scale indoor grow. Reapers, scorpions, ghosts, 20+ varieties. I am having issues with the leaves. Some leaves look gnarled up often in the same spot at the end of the leaf. Most of the reapers, ghosts, and scorpions are affected. I have definitely been overwatering. Algae shows on surface of some plants. Is this overwatering? Is this a virus? Is this aphids?

Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

Attachments

• 8F931D19-5E2A-4D1D-A82B-38484315FF1E.jpeg
    8F931D19-5E2A-4D1D-A82B-38484315FF1E.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 4A0AA929-48A7-440E-92BF-006B4DD19E49.jpeg
    4A0AA929-48A7-440E-92BF-006B4DD19E49.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 323A8A81-D023-41EB-A8B9-9AD53855F7FC.jpeg
    323A8A81-D023-41EB-A8B9-9AD53855F7FC.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 103
I don't see any evidence of aphids or virus.  That looks like a leaf formation issue. There's indication the plants aren't able to properly access essential nutrients, too.  I'd focus on proper watering, but also consider media composition.  That's my take at this point, anyway.

Thanks for the reply, CaneDog. I have allowed the plants to dry out some and they look much healthier. Do you think I should give them some fertilizer? I have given the plants Peters 20-20-20 fertilizer a few times but the last time was several weeks ago. Also, why do you think the leaves all have that funny little hook at the end? thanks

There are two different types of "hook."  One you can see in the second to last picture and it juts sideways around what looks like a missing piece of leaf.  The other you can see in the third to last picture with the leaf rolling downward and twisting, with no missing piece.  Both are likely water related.  Symptoms can be misleading too, because if a plant is overwatered long enough the roots won't work right and you'll see evidence they aren't getting enough water.  Overwatering also interferes with nutrient uptake, which is needed in leaf formation.  

What I suspect is happening is the plants aren't reacting to a lack of available nutrients, but to an inability to properly access and use what's there as they develop new leaves.  This creates the deformed leaves apparent in the second to last picture.  In the third to last picture, leaves that were formed properly are hooking down, likely as a systemic response to overwatering.

In a growing media with any reasonable amount of organic content (basically any commercial potting mix) peppers that size should be fine without ever having been fertilized.  To get any more specific about the right steps to take and whether to fertilize, I'd want to know what type of media they're in and it would also help to know what type of lighting you're using and how far from the plants it is.

That makes sense. I was def overwatering for a while. I am using Jiify Pot Seed Starting mix and the light is a 1000W Giixer LED grow light. The light is probably 14-15 inches from top of plants. 

OK. So one of my lights is an HLG100, which draws 119 watts from the wall versus your 110 watts.  Assuming they're about equal in intensity, I'd back your light off to 24" and run it not more than 16 hours/ day.  Keep up your adjusted/proper watering.  Since you're using a starter mix, it shouldn't have much in the way of nutrients, so they'll probably want something, but there's probably still some nutrients in the soil from prior feedings.  I'd wait maybe two days and then start with a diluted mix - maybe 1/4 strength, not higher, on the nutes and see how they respond.  As you get used to your plants and your setup you can dial in your variables, but I doubt you'll want your light closer than 18" ever, if even that, or need it on more than 18 hours/day.  I doubt you'll need to go beyond 50% of the recommended feeding level with the nutrients, either, but that's just my best guess.  Dial in on the feedback you get from your plants, but start on the low end and increase versus the risk of stressing them with too much light or feeding now. 

Your plants don't look in particularly bad shape and I suspect with a few small adjustments they'll quickly be doing great.  Just don't expect them to look great immediately.  Evaluate the new growth over the next two weeks and you should see good things.

Good luck!

Back