PROJEX & XING

PROJECTS AND CROSSING

I have in the past few years considered a few projects to achieve peppers that everyone seemed to be gravitating toward because they looked neat, only to find everyone else (so to speak) attempting the same thing, ie pink tigers. They may not have even been peppers that I had even tried or liked. With that in mind, I find I could spend forever growing peppers with that mindset and never achieving something unique.

I have decided to start my own projex, with my sights on very specific goals.

This thread is designed to present a/the procedure and/or a suggestive road map that others considering the same approach may follow along with to garner vital information or provide them material insight to create or add to their own methods. Many of the topics can be gleaned from the vast threads and topics already present in this forum, but will be rehashed here as many innovations and procedures may have been implemented since the subject material was mentioned in the past.

To keep my goals, my goals, I will refer to the subject plants in the project as subject 01x or y and subject 02x or y etc.

I have gone through my seed bank and selected specific seed from the seed train to start things off, but will continuously be looking for new material that fits my unpublished criteria.

What I am in pursuit of at the onset of this project is good stable seed stock with a high % of key phenol.

Reapers- red and choc
lavas- all
borgs- all
7 pots- all
brainstrains -all
pending additions.

I will try my damnedest to make this thread as interesting, informative and entertaining as possible.

banana-popcorn_zpsbxgbikag.gif

I will be watching

Cool....I've been waiting to watch someone's cross project.

This always seems like a very long and tedious process to get a stable generation.  From today (Day 0), how many days/weeks/months do you expect to hit key milestones?  To get satisfactory percentage of phenols, how long do you expect it to take?  6 months?  2 years?  How many generations does it take?

Are there any good single source 'how to' articles on crossing?  I know there is a mass of info across this site, but its spread out and a lot of tribal knowledge or baseline knowledge that seems to exist.  

I don't think I have the patience or discipline to do it, but I'm very interested in at least learning how its done.

harjo02 said:
Cool....I've been waiting to watch someone's cross project.

This always seems like a very long and tedious process to get a stable generation.
From today (Day 0), how many days/weeks/months do you expect to hit key milestones? The first milestone will be a full compliment of seed stock grown to maturity and confirmation of phenotype, heat and flavor.
To get satisfactory percentage of phenols, how long do you expect it to take? All of the peppers I grow now came from the generosity of other growers on this forum, as will the future seed stock from which I will work. 6 months?  2 years?
How many generations does it take? 8 generations minimum.

Are there any good single source 'how to' articles on crossing? THP
I know there is a mass of info across this site, but its spread out and a lot of tribal knowledge or baseline knowledge that seems to exist. The purpose of this thread.

I don't think I have the patience or discipline to do it, but I'm very interested in at least learning how its done.

Thanks for the info.

My questions were not framed well.  I guess I was looking for something more like this to explain the process of crossing.  

Thanks and good luck!

More like a procedural process and applied application.

C.chinense will be the target cultivar in the project. However I do have one particular baccatum x chinense in mind for a crossing and this one I will devouge now. Aji Colorado x Brown moruga.

Mainly due to the fact I dont live in a geographically beneficial growing zone and have a relatively shorter growing season, I anticipate the grow of 2017 will be highly diminished from that of seed starts. Many of the plants I grow this year, providing they measure up, will be cloned and continue there growth indoors over the winter. Subsequent generations will not be dictated by climatic seasons.

Back