• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients promix + hydro nutrients vs promix + compost etc...

I'm planting out soon, and I have quite a bit of the standard promix from lowes, which dries out very very fast in the sun.

I'm looking at making a mix with adding either earthworm castings or

some manure/compost or both and tomato tone?

just looking for a good ratio for mixes, mostly to help feed my peppers, and also keep them from drying out so fast outside.

my other option is to watch them closer, and keep using hydroponic nutrients on them for feeding, since the promix doesnt really have anything in it.

any help would be appreciated..

vermiculite + manure/compost + tomato tone + earthworm castings - I'd do 1/4th of each making up 50% over all adding back 50% pro-mix. Not far off from my squarefoot garden recipe. 

Sounds good to me!

I have to admit, I had never looked in to tomato tone. I immediately thought it was some Salty MG like product. After looking in to it I found it to be a interesting organic product that I may have to try.

Organic Plant Foods
For the past 80 years, Espoma Tones have defined the naturally beautiful garden. From our famous Holly-tone® to our newest product, Iron-tone®, each is a complex blend of long lasting natural ingredients.
Each Tone has been carefully developed in conjunction with nursery and horticultural professionals to produce outstanding flowers, shrubs and vegetables. No fillers, sludge or inert ingredients are ever used. And since every ounce of every Tone is manufactured in our own plant under our strict supervision, quality is guaranteed.
  • Long lasting natural organics break down slowly for steady, continuous feeding.
  • Contains Bio-tone® microbes.
  • Adds organic matter to soil.
  • Safe. Low in salts so it won't burn.
  • Safe for people, pets, & the environment

All their products rock, I stick with the tomato tome for tomato and pepper plants but use the other products for other veggies and flowering plants. 

This is what I've been using.  I've compared Tomato Tone to this Jobe's and the Jobe's had way more microbes and bacteria so I went with this.  I just been mixing the ProMix BX with this and been having awesome results.

Back