• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Proper drying & storing of seeds

SadisticPeppers

eXtreme Business
Since I got a total of 31 seeds from the first pod to ripen the other day, I was wondering what is the best way to dry the seeds so as to avoid mold getting on them, and storing them so that I can use them later to grow new plants if necessary down the road? Thanks!

I lay them on a paper plate and put up high somewhere so little hands can't get them. After 3-4 weeks I put them in a paper envelope for storage. If I ever forget the heat level or flavor of a pepper I just pop one of the seeds in my mouth.

Yep exactly what JAG said, I do the same thing although I write on the paper plate what kind of pepper it was and the date I de-seeded it. After they dried I put them in paper envelopes into a plastic food storage container with a layer of silica beads (the stuff that comes in a shoebox or electronics) You can buy huge bags at any craft store.

Thanks! Just to make sure, I put them in between two paper towels, and already have several empty prescription bottles waiting, one for each type of pepper I grow

I would set them on a plate (and good catch coheed, I do mark the plate too). In between towels with a little moisture and warmth may bring on odd germination. Just saying it is possible even if not likely.

Back