marketing Proper way to market sauces that are for charity, but not eating

So, I am not even fully launched yet, but active on several message boards and FB groups.

I have been approached probably 10-15 times so far by 'collectors' who want to buy prototypes and sample bottles of sauces I am experimenting with un my kitchen. Waxed, Signed, and Numbered and all that jazz....
I always tell people that the sauces aren't for eating as they were created in my kitchen, and not under FDA regulated rules, and that the bottles were strictly for collector purposes.  Any $$ transaction I made was done with the understanding that all proceeds were going to a charity....This is something I want to be a big part of my business model.

My mom passed away from breast cancer in 2001, and since then any business venture I started, I worked in a way to give towards breast cancer charities.

With the spring and summer ahead of us, and my grand plans to take up residence at farmers markets, local expo's, and etc...., I would like to figure out a way to take this to the next level.

I have fallen in love with making my own hot sauces for personal use or for family....I'm experimenting with tons of recipes...I like finding cool glass bottles....I'm getting better (some might disagree) with waxing, and I finally found a good marker for writing on the bottles. 

I'd love to continue to make batches of 'collector' sauces, that I could sell along side my real sauces, but with all proceeds going to charity. If I do a label, and in all marketing, I would emphasize that the sauce is not for eating, but for displaying or whatever hot sauce collectors do with their sauces....

My concern is people who won't heed my warnings or instructions and decide they want to eat the sauce regardless...

is this just a dumb idea, or is there a way to do this charity driven collectible sauce/bottles, that would be available for pruchase, where i donate all those monies to charity? i don't expect to sell a ton of stuff like this, but simply have it available for people who come across my table and collect ltd. edition type sauces....

that make any sense?

I would not sell anything made in my kitchen if there is any possibility it could be consumed.  Liability is not your friend.  Also, there could be other ramifications from the FDA in the way of fines (or worse).  I'm just guessing at this.  Others at THP will have better knowlege of this than me, but I personnaly think you need to step back a little further from that line in the sand. 

Ken

PepperDaddy said:
I would not sell anything made in my kitchen if there is any possibility it could be consumed.  Liability is not your friend.  Also, there could be other ramifications from the FDA in the way of fines (or worse).  I'm just guessing at this.  Others at THP will have better knowlege of this than me, but I personnaly think you need to step back a little further from that line in the sand. 

Ken

That is kind of what I was figuring as well, albeit, I'm as much a stranger to the legalities of it all too.

You're trying to split hairs with this "not for eating" thing.

It's food, specifically a shelf stable pH controlled food. There is no short cut. It is subject to 100% of the regulatory requirements of any other hot sauce whether you attempt to claim it's a collectable or not.

You're still selling hot sauce across state lines. You're still selling a product that is required to be made in a certified kitchen by a licensed cannery or kitchen manager. You're still selling illegal sauce.

I quit my day job in February - my livelihood depends on selling hot sauce. Don't you think if be knocking out 50-100 wax-sealed "collector bottles" a week for $10-20 apiece if I could? It would be easy and I'd make a killing doing it - but it's illegal and dangerous and my liability insurance would laugh in my face if someone claimed they got sick from eating it.

Food is food. You're not selling baseball cards you printed at home as a collectable - you're talking about a federally and state regulated product. No short cuts to sell hot sauce whether it's charity or not.

I too have been approached by "collectors" - dozens since I launched. Some were collectors - some I strongly suspect were looking for a way to sue or blackmail me. Ambulance chasers abound and new businesses are their biggest targets.

Be safe. CYA. Be legal and insured.
And the charity a aspect is not pertinent to the question at hand. Regardless of motivation, you're talking about selling an illegally made and illegally distributed acidified shelf stable product. Everything else is peripheral.

The fines are significant & the potential liability crippling. Speak to your process authority. They'll tell you the same.

Never guess at a law and never take your information from people on a web forum (myself included) - health inspectors are public servants and are available to you. Call and ask. They're going to tell you some version of what I just said relevant to your state.

++ what you guys said. 

If there's any chance someone would eat it, it needs to be done properly, especially since you're getting a legitimate sauce business going. 

I've been working on a charity project and I'll probably send it off to get a PA clearance before selling it.  There are some who make a "charity-sauce-a-month" (or so it seems), and I don't think all those sauces are run through the PA, but they are at least made by licensed processors. 

Hey Scott.

from day 1, i always wanted 100% honesty.  i wanna do this right from the start.  i have other idea's on how to implement a hot sauce charity which I will push forward with.

things are coming together. in the process of finalizing insurance...still gotta fill out all sorts of FDA paperwork (Ann, I'm gonna reach out to you on this, LOL)....got a great promotional post card in the works....got a even sicker t-shirt in the making....

NYC hot sauce expo can't come soon enough......looking forward to meeting the lot of you!

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Didn't mean to harsh your mellow - just giving you the exact advice I would give myself if I were the one asking this question.
:cheers:

Back