• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Protecting plants from high winds?

Edmick

Staff Member
eXtreme
So next year I'm planning on going a little larger scale with my garden. Which means, i wont be growing everything in pots due to the huge cost of potting soil that that i would need to achieve the scale in which I'm planning to grow. I live in a high wind area but it is seasonal and ordinarily if im expecting high winds i can just move the plants. It also gets very warm where i am so building a greenhouse is not logical either. I'm also in the process of starting my own business selling plants at farmers markets, which I'm currently going through all the permit processes to make that happen. So you can kinda understand the scale im talking about here. Does anyone have any ideas for a windbreak of some kind that will protect my plants that are in the ground that can't be moved to a protected area?

depends on how strong of a wind you're talking about. Using shrubs or hedges work ok to some extent but it takes time for them to fill in and get a mature root system.
If the wind always comes from the same direction you could put up fencing but you can't make it solid. The best you can do is to diffuse the wind otherwise a big gust will just blow it down.

Consider a shade cloth hoop house.

Here's a pic of a fancy set up.

5384948c.jpg

Any windbreak should be fine. You don't have to stop the wind... just diffuse it.

Maybe a short fence of two or three feet in height on one or two sides of the garden might work.  Here in the Great White North ( lots of snow ) we use fencing to reduce the wind blown snow drifts. The snow and wind almost always comes from one direction so the fences are built straight lines perpendicular to the predominant wind direction. I assume that your winds are also from one direction.... Just a thought.

Jeff

Back